Dying rooster needs to be put down

Laney Lu

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Can anyone tell me a humane way to help my rooster pass on. He’s older around 6 years, he’s not eating anymore or walking around, I feel he’s suffering now. I have a pellet gun and a 22. . Would either of those guns work? And how do I do it? Or would you recommend any other method other than breaking his neck.
Thanks lu lu

Can anyone tell me a humane way to help my rooster pass on. He’s older around 6 years, he’s not eating anymore or walking around, I feel he’s suffering now. I have a pellet gun and a 22. . Would either of those guns work? And how do I do it? Or would you recommend any other method other than breaking his neck.
Thanks lu lu
Grab both legs in one hand and lay him down on the ground on his belly. He will naturally try to lift his head. Hold the barrel of the .22 to the back of his head angling down. He’ll flop around a little but he’ll go right down.

Just to warn you, he could still have "death throes," the wild jerking of muscles from the nervous system shutting down. I had to put down a cockerel, did it with a .22, and thought I'd botched it.

I'm so sorry! :hugs

Just to warn you, he could still have "death throes," the wild jerking of muscles from the nervous system shutting down. I had to put down a cockerel, did it with a .22, and thought I'd botched it.

I'm so sorry! :hugs
Thank you

Grab both legs in one hand and lay him down on the ground on his belly. He will naturally try to lift his head. Hold the barrel of the .22 to the back of his head angling down. He’ll flop around a little but he’ll go right down.
Would the pellet gun work? And he’s not lifting his head , I don’t think he’ll fight

He’s actually laying on his side, where should I shoot him at in that position?
Just turn his head with his comb if you have to. I would use the .22. If he’s in that bad of shape he may not even flop around much. You can also just hold him down for a few sec after.

It's best to aim for the back of the head. That way you hit the brain, which will shut everything down quickly. Can you turn him over on his stomach? Pet him and sooth him, say your goodbyes.

I just looked up chicken anatomy. With the beak to the left, then his eye, then the brain is farther to the right. So behind the eye, slightly lower. I'd recommend the .22.

So sorry you have to do this.

Back
Top Bottom