E-Books and devices

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Jul 21, 2010.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I happened to see that on the news today.....wondered about how you all liked it or disliked it.

Several things I would love it to do that would fit my needs:

You can take it camping without searching for a lamplight to read. Similar to a laptop but smaller.

Is it user friendly?

Are the E programs easily accessible in libraries? (mine does not have one yet)

Are you limited in what you can read or can you get ANY book and they will copy or find one for you?

E programs expensive or what are their restrictions?

Is it small enough to carry about?

How long the power lasts without recharging when you read?

So what brand you like or dislike? Cost?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I have a BeBook. It's about the same size as a hardcover book, doesn't glow at all, and the battery can last for a few months without being recharged. It displays all sorts of different documents pretty well, although PDFs tend to be hard to read.

Fairly expensive. Oh well, I love mine anyway. [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

4. This will be my next purchase for "electronic toys"

I am waitng to see what comes out on the market in the next year or so. I do not like the I Pad, i think it is over rated and there are features it absolutely lacks.

My daughter LOVES her kindle, but it is a high end model.

I need a device i can hook up to the net, get my email, surf and download my next favorite book.

I would also love to see the ability to download a search off google .

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I love my kindle. It is fantastic and incredibly easy to use. I have found plenty of books to read and many of them have been free or very cheap. I still pay the same price or sometimes less than I would at a bookstore for most of my favorite fiction authors. My biggest problem is that I have read all the books from my favorites and haven't found someone new who I really like yet, though the suggestions my kindle gives me look promising. I have tried out the sony reader as well as the new one from barnes and noble and I don't like them as well as the kindle.

The selection of books is better than at my local bookstore though some types such as comics are not available. I like that my kindle doesn't have a touch screen since I hate having to clean my fingerprints off screens like that. My kindle wasn't horribly expensive, only $160. I have the smaller version because I wanted to be able to easily carry it around with me. It is about the size of a paperback and the cover I got to go with it allows me to prop it up on a table and not have to hold it if I am busy with something else.

It is true that in the past, amazon removed books without permission from the kindle owners but the courts have since told them they can't do that so it shouldn't be an issue in the future. As long as you have it on your kindle, they cannot take it away.

My battery lasts me about 4 or 5 days generally though if I am reading most of the time or using the wireless network a lot I may need to plug it in every couple of days.

I can't say enough good things about my kindle. It is the only way I read books these days (unless I am reading a book on my phone using the kindle app which I also love).

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    I am pretty much with Sonoran Silkies on this one. I am not a fan of e-books. So much so that I can't imagine I would like something like a Kindle. I am on occasion required to do an e-book for school. In those situations, it is nice to be able to keyword search through thousands of pages of text. I still though can't get away from having a hard copy, so I have had several books that I have a hard copy of and an e-book. I like books too much. I don't like carting around something electronic to read from. I just like having an actual book.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    +1 for the Kindle. I had a first gen Kindle and loved it but after getting several story rejections walked away from reading or writing for a while. I ended up selling it for what I paid for it. I just bought a Kindle II and rekindled my love of reading. I have a lot of e-books already that I port over without too much difficulty.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Another [​IMG] for the Kindle. I've enjoyed mine at least. I like the convenience of being anywhere and being able to shop for a book. When I'm home, I'll still grab a "regular" book most of the time. But if I hear of a book that I want now, without going to the store, or when I'm traveling or out and about, I like the Ebook. The books you download are often cheaper than buying a paper book.

9. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I've had the nook since January! Love, love, love it! [​IMG] Plenty of free books and books under $5. I'm reading Little Women right now. Plenty of battery life and you can lend books between nook readers!

Great font sizes too!

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I SO want to get a Kindle. I've wanted one since they first came out, but just couldn't justify the cost. Now that I've seen the commercial for the one you can read in bright light....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Over the years I have donated SO MANY paperbacks and hard cover books to libraries because I just read SO much and never *ahem* borrowed from the library but BOUGHT the things because I want my books ... but now I'm much older and too many boxes of books have been moved when I moved (after 20 years in the same house). Really, I'll just keep my absolute favorites or hard to find books, but now I want to read and not add to the stacks.

Plus I'm a gadget kinda gal. I want a Kindle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by