E Coli and klebsiella positive????

berkchicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2018
Maryland
Hey guys super long story and you may have seen some of my post this past week but in the span of 7 days I have lost 3 chickens since first showing classic respiratory symptoms.

I’ve been treating with Tylan with not much success. Some have gotten better and some haven’t shown any symptoms and some have stayed the same.

Anyway I just got the test results back and I am in complete shock.

It is was negative for mycoplasma which I figured but positive for e.coli and something I have NEVER heard of before-
klebsiella????

I’m completely floored. I was thinking infectious bronchitis.

I don’t know anything about these two diseases. And again, long story short but I told this doctor that I wasn’t going to come back to his practice because I had heard nothing from him calling him three times telling him that I had lost three birds. I have another vet that I’m going to see but in the meantime can anybody give me some information about this in this?

I’m incredibly nervous about E. coli. Can we catch it. We have dogs that mean the world to us - can they catch it? I’m freaking out. What does any of this mean?

Your vet should be giving you the medications you need for the diagnosis. They have, not 1, but 2 bacterial infections, so they may need a bit stronger dose of something different than Tylan to treat them properly.
Tylan will treat neither because both these bacteria are gram negative, and Tylan does not treat gram negative bacteria. Something like Baytril will almost certainly treat both, and smz/tmp (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) might treat both too.

I would try to get into see the poultry vet again, and hopefully, they will see you. E.coli is a bacteria found in all barnyards and poultry houses. It is opportunistic, and frequently is a secondary infection in respiratory diseases when air sacculitis occurs. Klebsiella bacteria is also a cause of infection in the respiratory tract, and is found on skin and in the intestinal tract. Your poultry vet might want to change the antibiotic to one that treats gram negative infections like E.coli and Klebsiella, if you are still seeing sick chickens. I would not freak out too much, but glad that you got the report back.

Don't freak out, E. Coli is a very common finding in avian respiratory infections. To treat it you need something that treats E. Coli. Me, I use Baytril, but it's banned for use in poultry, so you need to think about that.

Don't worry about yourself or other animals, just wash your hands after handling them.

Baytril from the vet with their blessing would be best, but if that's not an option you can buy it online without a prescription.

Just read up on klebsillia and it's a gram negative bacteria like E. coli so something like Baytril will probably treat it too.

I know this! Like I said, I was told that it was most likely mycoplasma. I was prescribed Tylan from the vet. I was truly just doing the best that I could at the time.
I know that I need something different. I will no longer be giving them the Tylan.
I know you know, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to he!p you get through this. :hugs

I really, truly appreciate it so much. I am just so completely drained at this point. Having pretty much my entire flock be sick, losing three of them and then being given this absolutely crazy diagnosis has me so drained and exhausted.
Thank you. ❤️
:hugs I understand! Talk to you vet first thing in the morning and see what they say. If they say try tetracyline, oxytetracyline, doxycycline, sulfamethoxazole, or sulfamethazine, ask why. Don't be rude, but ask why they think those are better.

Back
Top Bottom