E Coli and klebsiella positive????

You are seriously helping me so much right now. You have no idea.
Thank you a million times over and over again!
So are both bacterias contagious in the flock? Or one or the other?
Will it/they continue to kill all of my chickens?
They all seem very well and happy right now - like whoever wasn’t going to survive it, has passed away already.

Thank you. I don’t understand any of this. I literally clean your water out every single day in their food is always kept clean too. I clean the coop out every day as well. Not this makes any sense to me. I’m so upset.

I think I would separate any that are showing any signs of respiratory disease, get them started on an antibiotic, an keep water and pens very clean.
https://www.vetmitun.com/chicken-e-coli-infections/

The vet that gave me the diagnosis is the one who saw my first sick girl over a week ago. He never called me back after I called on three separate occasions letting them know that three separate deaths had occurred. I will be taking the test results to a vet that I trust on Monday.

I was treating them with Tylan under his guidance. He told me that it was most likely mycoplasma. I was doing the best that I could.

Your vet should be giving you the medications you need for the diagnosis. They have, not 1, but 2 bacterial infections, so they may need a bit stronger dose of something different than Tylan to treat them properly.

Your vet should be giving you the medications you need for the diagnosis. They have, not 1, but 2 bacterial infections, so they may need a bit stronger dose of something different than Tylan to treat them properly.
Tylan will treat neither because both these bacteria are gram negative, and Tylan does not treat gram negative bacteria. Something like Baytril will almost certainly treat both, and smz/tmp (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) might treat both too.

I know this! Like I said, I was told that it was most likely mycoplasma. I was prescribed Tylan from the vet. I was truly just doing the best that I could at the time.
I know that I need something different. I will no longer be giving them the Tylan.
Tylan will treat neither because both these bacteria are gram negative, and Tylan does not treat gram negative bacteria. Something like Baytril will almost certainly treat both, and smz/tmp (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) might treat both too.

A wild bird could have contaminated your flock, OR you could have picked it up on something from the feed store, or it could have started with less than fresh feed, then escalated.

Ugh. I had no idea that keeping chickens as pets could be so tough and emotionally draining. I love these guys so much. I just went out to go see them and they all ran up to me and couldn’t understand why I didn’t pick them up.

A wild bird could have contaminated your flock, OR you could have picked it up on something from the feed store, or it could have started with less than fresh feed, then escalated.

I know this! Like I said, I was told that it was most likely mycoplasma. I was prescribed Tylan from the vet. I was truly just doing the best that I could at the time.
I know that I need something different. I will no longer be giving them the Tylan.
I know you know, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to he!p you get through this. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom