Ear Infection?

Ear infections can be caused by ear mites. Birds will scratch and shake their heads. You can see mite feces or the mites in the ear canal, looks like black pepper or blackish/reddish crud. Use an eyedropper to put a few drops of vegetable oil in the ear to smother them.
Fungus can be a problem; a tube of fungal cream will usually take care of fungus. Insert the tip of the tube gently just inside the ear canal and slowly squeeze til the ear fills up with the cream...then leave it. A Q-tip can be used but some of the cotton on the tip will have to be removed in order for Q-tip to fit inside the ear canal with the fungal cream on it... insert the Q-tip gently just inside the ear canal, do NOT insert it deep! Fungus can be greenish/moldy looking.
The most common cause of ear infections is bacteria or a respiratory infection causing bacterial infection. If there's a respiratory infection/disease, there are also other respiratory symptoms and antibiotics will be required. Keep in mind if it's a viral disease, antibiotics are useless. I normally recommend that birds with respiratory diseases be culled for the health, safety and welfare for the rest of the flock and property.
Bacterial infections usually are whittish/yellowish cheesy looking. Pre-stage everything you need before the ear cleaning procedure. Wrap the bird snugly in a towel, tie her legs together just enough to keep her from kicking and escaping, then lay her on her side.
The ear is located under a small flap covering the ear canal, it'll be a small hole. A Q-tip will fit inside the canal but you'll have to initially remove some of the cotton from the tip of the Q-tip in order for it to fit inside the ear canal. Remove as much cotton as necessary but remember that you must leave a little cotton on the tip to remove the gunk from the ear canal, you can dip the tip in water and shake it off so the gunk can adhere to the cotton before inserting it into the ear. Then gently insert the Q-tip into the canal and gently remove the gunk, most likely the gunk will come out in small chunks and will be somewhat difficult to remove. It'll be time consuming, patience is highly recommended. Make sure you have plenty of Q-tips on hand. Small tweezers can be helpful when removing larger chunks.
There might be chunks deeper in the ear canal, do NOT go after them with a Q-tip nor tweezers. Use an eyedropperful of non-diluted hydrogen peroxide and fill the ear up with it. It will bubble over and out the ear...this is normal. Have a paper towel ready to prevent any of the liquid getting into the hens eyes. Once the hydrogen peroxide has finshed bubbling, use Q-tips to clean and dry out the ear canal as best as you can...you may or may not have to remove cotton from the tip of the Q-tip to insert it into the ear, it has probably stretched enough to fit inside the ear canal. Again, be gentle and take your time, do NOT go deep into the ear canal.
Next, get your tube of neosporin ointment and gently put the tip into the ear and squeeze, filling the ear all the way up to the top with the ointment. You are finished. Then flip the bird over and do the same thing with the other ear.
Once the other ear is done, release your bird to go about her business. Then clean your mess up.
Boy I hope you respond 12 yrs later. You have the best advice to date. How much pain is my girl in? She likes me rubbing it w a qtip but it's not getting soft. YouTube showed it coming out easy but this rescue has had it rough. I can't seem to find anyone who mentions their painlevel when dealing w this type of swollen 'ear+lobe'

Boy I hope you respond 12 yrs later. You have the best advice to date. How much pain is my girl in? She likes me rubbing it w a qtip but it's not getting soft. YouTube showed it coming out easy but this rescue has had it rough. I can't seem to find anyone who mentions their painlevel when dealing w this type of swollen 'ear+lobe'
I my post, I was referring about treatment inside the ear, not the earlobe. However, I think you might be dealing with ear canker which is a different ballgame and may require different treatments depending what it is. Here's a link that explains it:
https://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/health-and-wellness/ear-canker

I my post, I was referring about treatment inside the ear, not the earlobe. However, I think you might be dealing with ear canker which is a different ballgame and may require different treatments depending what it is. Here's a link that explains it:
https://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/health-and-wellness/ear-canker
So basically I should not attempt to remove any supposed wax and don't try swimmersear stuff to loosen it but call a vet .... If I can find one ....

Ear infections can be caused by ear mites. Birds will scratch and shake their heads. You can see mite feces or the mites in the ear canal, looks like black pepper or blackish/reddish crud. Use an eyedropper to put a few drops of vegetable oil in the ear to smother them.
Fungus can be a problem; a tube of fungal cream will usually take care of fungus. Insert the tip of the tube gently just inside the ear canal and slowly squeeze til the ear fills up with the cream...then leave it. A Q-tip can be used but some of the cotton on the tip will have to be removed in order for Q-tip to fit inside the ear canal with the fungal cream on it... insert the Q-tip gently just inside the ear canal, do NOT insert it deep! Fungus can be greenish/moldy looking.
The most common cause of ear infections is bacteria or a respiratory infection causing bacterial infection. If there's a respiratory infection/disease, there are also other respiratory symptoms and antibiotics will be required. Keep in mind if it's a viral disease, antibiotics are useless. I normally recommend that birds with respiratory diseases be culled for the health, safety and welfare for the rest of the flock and property.
Bacterial infections usually are whittish/yellowish cheesy looking. Pre-stage everything you need before the ear cleaning procedure. Wrap the bird snugly in a towel, tie her legs together just enough to keep her from kicking and escaping, then lay her on her side.
The ear is located under a small flap covering the ear canal, it'll be a small hole. A Q-tip will fit inside the canal but you'll have to initially remove some of the cotton from the tip of the Q-tip in order for it to fit inside the ear canal. Remove as much cotton as necessary but remember that you must leave a little cotton on the tip to remove the gunk from the ear canal, you can dip the tip in water and shake it off so the gunk can adhere to the cotton before inserting it into the ear. Then gently insert the Q-tip into the canal and gently remove the gunk, most likely the gunk will come out in small chunks and will be somewhat difficult to remove. It'll be time consuming, patience is highly recommended. Make sure you have plenty of Q-tips on hand. Small tweezers can be helpful when removing larger chunks.
There might be chunks deeper in the ear canal, do NOT go after them with a Q-tip nor tweezers. Use an eyedropperful of non-diluted hydrogen peroxide and fill the ear up with it. It will bubble over and out the ear...this is normal. Have a paper towel ready to prevent any of the liquid getting into the hens eyes. Once the hydrogen peroxide has finshed bubbling, use Q-tips to clean and dry out the ear canal as best as you can...you may or may not have to remove cotton from the tip of the Q-tip to insert it into the ear, it has probably stretched enough to fit inside the ear canal. Again, be gentle and take your time, do NOT go deep into the ear canal.
Next, get your tube of neosporin ointment and gently put the tip into the ear and squeeze, filling the ear all the way up to the top with the ointment. You are finished. Then flip the bird over and do the same thing with the other ear.
Once the other ear is done, release your bird to go about her business. Then clean your mess up.
Hi, Dawg53!!! THANK YOU 🙏 soooo very much for posting this amazing and DETAILED information. My hen has been feeling ‘off’ for the last few weeks and I didn’t know what the problem was…she just appeared ‘tired and sleepy’, with eyes nearly closing and would just sit in the nesting box, getting up for water and food. I only realized from recent googling and backyardchickens popping up (and then your post) that she had plugged ears from an ‘assumed’ bacterial infection.I followed your instructions to the letter, everything went VERY well and chickie didn’t complain at all 🐓 (she IS a white Chanteclair, 3+ years). After finishing the process, I put her back in the nesting box to ’recover’, but she scurried out for a drink of water then to the run to join the others for a ‘greens treat’ from my garden. I am so grateful for your available information ❤️, it was a lifesaver for us both!! 😃

Back
Top Bottom