Ear mite prevention for dogs?

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
Is there a prevention?

The reason I am asking is that our neighbor frequently walks his dog on our property and it has brought in fleas and ear mites to my outdoor dog. My two indoor dogs like to go out and play with the outdoor dog and I'm worried that they are going to get ear mites too. Is there a way to prevent that? I am currently treating the outdoor dog, but meanwhile, I am worried about our other two dogs.

(Sorry if I worded that to where it was confusing! Hopefully it will make sense.
smile.png
)

Ask the neighbor (politely) to keep the his dog off your property until they get rid of the fleas and mites. I would say something like "holy cow, Joe!
ep.gif
Rover has itchy ear mites and fleas! Did you know its passed from dog to dog and good chance your dog may have them too. Better take him to the vet or your house will get infested with it! We gotta work together or we'll never get rid of these awful bugs."

You also need to treat the property. They used to use Ivermectin to kill both ear mites and fleas but don't know how long it lasts. talk to your vet. (Cats get it too).

Thanks for the laugh there!
lol.png

Seriously, we have talked and talked to the neighbor about not bringing his dog over here with no luck. Our dogs used to go over there too, but we've put in an underground fence and they don't do that anymore. It's now just the issue of him bringing his dog over here. His wife feeds the feral cats of the neighborhood, so that's probably where his dog got them from. <<Sigh>> I was hoping there might just be a preventative out there so I could prevent the two dogs from getting them and then prevent the one dog from getting them again.

As for the fleas. they live outdoors in the grass and can spread that way. I am not sure about the ear mites but for the fleas Frontline Plus works wonders. I use it on my dogs and they have the run of the farm and are around other dogs that have fleas and do not get them. it lasts for i month and is water proof. the vet can give you 1 capstar to kill any fleas and ticks that your pets might have them apply this and your protected. As for your stubborn neighbor... its a loosing battle. some people you just cannot talk to.

Good luck.

We use any kind of oil in the ear to treat or prevent ear mite. Just make sure you do it outside, because they are gonna shake their head when you turn them loose. If you want a little more kill power, add some permethrin flea dope to the oil (Adams or similar).

Quote:
Thank you! I will most definitely try that!

This is the first time I've ever had to deal with ear mites, so I've been a little clueless as to what to do with them. I have some Permethrin and most definitely will add some to some olive oil. I've been wondering how Tea Tree Oil would do too? I've used the Hartz stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart, but haven't had much luck with it.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
smile.png

Any oil will do, it suffocates the mites, so it's important to get a good coating on the inside of the ear. If they currently have ear mites they can cause sores down inside, then we use campho phenique to help with the sores.

I'd chat with the vet about preventative measures. Looks like you have a constant source of reinfestation. We treated ours for ear mites, but then one had an ear infection after the mites were gone. More medication and treatment.

Sounds like you are not on terrible terms with the neightbor but that they just don't get it. If you are certain they are the cause, you can talk to animal control about your options, but that might sour what relations you do have. Your decision.

Good luck! A difficult position.

Back
Top Bottom