Ear scab?

Frostflowers

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
My little chicken has a problem and I have no idea what it is or what to do. Can anybody give me any advice?
There's a scab on her one ear. She hasn't had any contact with other birds than the ones that she grew up with. Is it because the others have picked on her or sth else?
What should I do with it?
IMG_20191128_143200.jpg

My little chicken has a problem and I have no idea what it is or what to do. Can anybody give me any advice?
There's a scab on her one ear. She hasn't had any contact with other birds than the ones that she grew up with. Is it because the others have picked on her or sth else?
What should I do with it?View attachment 1969710
How is she acting? Is she pale or is it just the light. Have you had any mosquitoes out where fowl pox might be a problem? I would look into her ear and see if there is any dried pus inside. Swollen ears can be from a mite infestation that has caused scratching, a bacterial or fungal infection, or a respiratory infection. I would look her over for any mites on her skin.

She has been poorly today.
She lives in our garage for about two months now. Before that she lived indoors.
She hasn't had any contact with other animals than our dog who goes there and sniffs them.
There are 3 chickens in total.

She wasn't standing up any more. I took her inside and she had really runny poop. She drank like crazy. I boiled her some rice since it's supposed to be good for the runs. Now she sits in a cat container and sleeps.
She has the scab on one side of the head and keeps the other side's eye closed.
She looks like she's super weak.
I think the others have been pecking and picking on her.
They have a cabbage hanging in the coop. She pooped only cabbage. It seems as if she hasn't eaten anything else but cabbage. Maybe the others didn't let het eat?
:/

What should I do with it?View attachment 1969710
I've got a similar issue with one of mine, I haven't figured out how to resolve it yet though. Let me find my thread with the suggestions from others, maybe they'll be helpful to you.
20191115_202152.jpg

This is my chicken that survived a "dogs" attack. There was an injury to the left ear area that scabbed up & obviously scarred as it healed. I've noticed the area pooches out more now & thought the feathers surrounding the ear canal must be trapped inside. Upon much closer inspection last night there is NO opening for the ear on that side at all. My question is am I going to have to "reopen" up that area in order for it to heal correctly? If so how do I go about that? I can't afford a vet bill on this so I appreciate any input y'all can provide.
One of the photos is of when the injury occurred.
View attachment 1959960
View attachment 1959965 View attachment 1959966 View attachment 1959964

Back
Top Bottom