Early bumblefoot

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to come back and give an update on Solrikka's foot. When I left off, she was liming badly, had a swelling on her foot with a tiny, pin headed dark dot and was being given anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics. I saw that the meds were not doing anything, in fact, her limp was worsening. I starting applying Prid at night and within a few days the limping stopped. The swelling was still there and her foot/leg still felt warm, but there was that small consolation in that the limping was gone. We kept her confined in the pen and gave her twice daily Espsom salt soaks for about 6 weeks, along with a good dose of prid at night. Eventually, we let her free range, keeping an eye on her for any setbacks and cut her soaks down to 1 soak at night, followed by the Prid. Slowly I did see the dot get bigger, eventually forming into a scab. I was ready to pull it off, but was concerned that, given our slate of really hot weather, she wouldn't be able to bathe/cool down if I took the scab off and the tissue was still not healed. We just kept up with the Prid/soaks. When I saw that we were going to have 3 days of cooler temps, I told my husband 'Tonight's the night.' We got all of our supplies ready to pull the scab off and bind up her foot with gauze, vet wrap, etc and when I go to pull off the scab, I see that's it's gone. No scab. I just saw the pink tissue. Yippee!! I'm assuming that since her foot is not warm, she's not limping and the tissue is pink that all is well, but am keeping an eye on her.

Wow, that sounds great. I just received some prid in the mail and will try that next time. When I had my first case of bumble last spring same thing happened to me, I got all geared up for the dreaded surgery and the scab came off revealing perfectly healthy tissue. So happy for you!

Hi, there! :frow

Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these type of threads are quite useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.
Thanks for asking! She is doing great. No sign of lingering problems. The regimen I used(epsom salt soaks, and a slathering of PRID every night), although quite lengthy, did the trick. I check her feet periodically (although she hates it) and everything looks great.

Thanks for asking! She is doing great. No sign of lingering problems. The regimen I used(epsom salt soaks, and a slathering of PRID every night), although quite lengthy, did the trick. I check her feet periodically (although she hates it) and everything looks great.

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear she's doing better!

Back
Top Bottom