Early Candling Question

wolverine

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Hi all,

I've had a look at the excellent sticky thread at the top here re: candling. I have another question, which is no doubt very easy to answer!

Our eggs went in to the incubator three days ago and we candled them last night. Ideally I would have left them longer, but we had an temperature problem, and the incubator spent a short time at 40-41 deg C, so I am worried I have cooked them. Of the 18 eggs in, most look very similar, with the exception of four that I suspect are not fertile as they look clear.

The other 14 have a dark mass at one end when candled, which the light doesn't shine through. I can't see any veins or anything else.

Any ideas?

Thanks

40-41 C isnt a problem.You candled early though.You should candle at 7-10 days of incubation.As far as I am aware of seeing a dark mass is good.

Wait some more days and candle again.If they ones you say are infertile have not changed then throw them out.
I just want to tell you that you havent cooked them

PS:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
it's best to candle chicken eggs around day 7 (very dark shelled eggs around day 10).. if you candle even as early as day 4 you may have some slow starters that look infertile on day 4 but in actuality aren't..
so by day 7 you can tell for certain which were slow starters.. which are good eggs.. and which are infertile

I check my eggs on Day 4 also. (New to it, and couldn't wait). But I didn't throw my first egg due to being unfertile until day 10. Just cause I wanted to make sure.

I noticed after you do it a couple times you will learn for certain things to look for. I am still not perfect, but I can catch more now.

Thanks for the feedback guys, more patience needed I think!

What confused me was that I saw photos from other folks who had candling pics from day one, and at day four, you could see a perfect dark embryo with a spider-web of veins coming off towards the shell.

Will leave it a week I think.

Thanks

I am at 5 days on my first hatch. I don't see veins either. But I do see 2 eggs with a much larger dark mass at one end. And an egg with what appears to be nothing in it. Good luck we are both in the impatient boat together!!!

That's good to know, please keep me posted on how it goes. I'm hoping to get a more sophisticated candling setup than I had last time (maglite torch + hand!) so that I can take a picture. I have been noting temperatures and humidities and have numbered the eggs so that I can try to work out what went right/wrong depending on how it turns out.

As I built my own incubator, I'm still learning about that too. I bought a temperature controller from eBay, an STC-1000, which was quite cheap and is just brilliant. The temperature is now only varying between about 37.3 and 37.8 deg C (99.1 - 100.0 F), so I'm pleased with that, despite my earlier temperature trouble!

Oh well, time to wait a while and see what happens I guess...

Definately be patient. Sometimes you will have that fast developing easy to see through egg and sometimes the shell is a little thicker than you think and until they grow larger you will not be able to see. I always wait to judge at 10 days, but if I have the time I too still peek early.

Hi all,

Well - Day 5, and we're a bit more settled. Whilst topping up the water, we candled one of our Cream Legbar eggs, as the shells are easy to see through; and one of the Welsummer eggs, in our new candler (home made this evening from a Whisky bottle tube!)

Picture of Cream Legbar Egg follows:

105573_shelley.jpg

(If you're wondering what is written on it, my wife did request that she name one of the eggs "Shelley"...

Definitely see some veins that were not there a day or two ago.

Nothing to see in the Welsummer Eggs, but they're very thick and dark. Seems to be a dark mass near the top. Not sure if this is good or not.

Picture of Welsummer Egg follows:

105573_welsummer_4.jpg

Anyhow, will wait and see what transpires at 10-14 days.

Back
Top Bottom