Early chick hatched... leave it or take it out of incubator?

cindyanne1

Mother Goose
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Central Ohio
My R-com Mini still has one more day of incubation to go, but one of my eggs pipped yesterday and hatched last night. The other two eggs aren't doing anything at all yet, and the lil' guy is in there with them just panting and panting!

The instructions for the incubator say to leave all the hatchlings in the chamber until all have hatched, but I'm really worried about this one lone chick being too hot in there... the conditions in the incubator are preset and they haven't adjusted to "post-hatching" yet (I'm not sure if they do that, but I'm guessing they do.)

What would you do? Would you go ahead and take out that one chick or leave it for another day?

Thank you!!

Personally, I'd go ahead and take it out. But do it quick and spritz the incubator with warm water during the half-second that you have it open.

The chick would *probably* be fine in there, and the usual recommendation is to leave them till they all hatch, but I had one hatch a full 24 hours before the second one, and a full 48 hours before the last, and after about 18 hours I took her out because she looked so lonely, bored, forelorn, and generally uncomfortable on that sticky, messy, wire mesh.

She was much happier in the brooder, and even happier yet when the next duck joined her. Mind you, I did end up with problems during that hatch, and I'm pretty sure some of it was humidity due to incubator opening & shutting. But then, I opened and shut it a lot more than just the once that was necessary to take her out.

Someone else may advise you differently, and have good reason for doing so, so don't just take my word for it. I'm just sharing what I would do.
smile.png

I am in the same situation,
1 Welsummer hatched just now in my r-com mini, they are not "due' until tomorrow, no pips in the other two eggs yet, or the other 3 in our second R-Com Mini. This little fuzzbutt still has to dry and rest before I slip it under our broody silkie, who hatched one of the eggs last night...
jumpy.gif
I hope the other two eggs make some progress in the next 6 or 8 hours, 'cause I won't have the self discipline to be able to leave this little guy in there for a whole 24 hours...
BUT I am afraid to open the incubator to take it out because my last hatch I did that and the other full grown egg died after pipping 6 hours later. Sooooo I will try as hard as I can to leave it in there until the others hatch, it should survive and taking it out might kill the other two...
barnie.gif

Oooo guys i am listening in to this thread like a hawk as I have the R-com mini as well and am nearing hatch day! On day 17 today.......I know I will not be able to leave the first chickie in there for any lenght of time if the others are not doing anything.......good luck and keep us updated on your progress!! I find it frustrating that there is no humitity gauge on the front....do you?

Ooo and have you tried the ez-scope with the r-com mini? I love mine!

x

Back
Top Bottom