Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by CoopDeDoo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

Thank you for your review! I did some thinking and really wanted to spend less than $100 since I'll only really use it for my classroom. And it needed to be self sufficient. I have gone back and forth on those yellow ones. Glad you're having a good experience! I'll probably go with it.

2. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    I have always had good luck on CL - more interest then I chicks/chickens. I try to sell them for slightly more than I paid per egg - say $5 per chick or maybe more if they were really rare and hard to hatch/raise.

3. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California

They are cute little fuzzy silkies. I've only been hatching 6 to 10 each time. I've sold half, with plans to sell most. Not a lot of silkies in the area.

4. LilChickens2

LilChickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    At what age does everyone start trying to sell their chicks? (Day old, at a couple weeks, or...?) Afraid the longer I keep them the more attached I will become.

5. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    All ages last time - I had 28 hatch and that is too many for my set up. Sold some as day old, some at a couple of weeks and the rest at about 6-7 weeks. Unfortunately the really friendly chicks that we were getting attached too were all males[​IMG] and we have no roosters allowed in city limits.

6. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I plan to sell them as day old chicks, but in reality I'll want a few days with them to make sure they have a good start, and anyways, it takes a few days before people answer an CL ad. Then I can get my mommy-and-chick time in[​IMG]

How much would y'all sell hatching eggs for?
    I've got s barnyard mix dozen I thought I'd ask $10 for. Is that too high?

7. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Got home from class last night and the incubator had spiked to 101[​IMG]Adjusted it the tiniest little bit - went to bed two hours later and it was holding study at 99.1 - got up this morning and it was 97 [​IMG] Adjusted the tiniest bit again... have to work all day - keep your fingers crossed for the eggs that they won't fried by tonight [​IMG]

8. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Here - barnyard mix eggs sell for $10 - $15 a dozen.

9. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I also have one of these and am planning to use it as a hatcher. Would you have any tips on how to calibrate it?

10. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Thank you!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by