Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

I know I'm a little late to this, but I'm going to be setting eggs for the very first time tomorrow, which I think will be a Valentine's Day hatch! I have 18 buff Orpington eggs from my own backyard flock. I bought a used Little Giant with a turner, fan, and better thermostat/hygrometer and a used homemade incubator. I've had them both running for almost 24 hours and the temps are fluctuating from 98.5-100.9 but staying right in there. The humidity on the LG has been high (65%) but the homemade one has been holding steady in the low 30s all day so I guess that will be the one I use, even though I'll have to manually turn them.
I'm nervous, I went and counted my chickens before they hatched as they say and promised someone 6 chicks. Hopefully that works out.
Fingers crossed!
fl.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome! Since they are your eggs and therefore didn't travel very far and I am sure you will hatch enough to share
wink.png

Welcome aboard! I don't have advice on the Magicfly but I do have advice on your humidity /temperature (hygrometer) : calibrate both and write down how off they are so you can adequately monitor your temps. The calibration tests are simple but you need to do the salt one for six hours. I don't know if the Magicfly has a big enough vent, but on my incubator I stick one of my hygrometer probes through one of the vents. I have a second hygrometer sitting on the inside (I don't trust just one).

Welcome aboard! I don't have advice on the Magicfly but I do have advice on your humidity /temperature (hygrometer) : calibrate both and write down how off they are so you can adequately monitor your temps. The calibration tests are simple but you need to do the salt one for six hours. I don't know if the Magicfly has a big enough vent, but on my incubator I stick one of my hygrometer probes through one of the vents. I have a second hygrometer sitting on the inside (I don't trust just one).

I just bought the same incubator and will be putting eggs in on Thursday. This is my first attempt. Any advise working with the Magicfly?? The instructions are vague and odd to say the least! Lol I also bought a candler and a humidity thermometer. I am wondering if I just put it inside with the eggs??

Hope your hatch is going as planned!

Beckie

I have mine set up the same way as LilChickens and it works out well.

It occurred to me that my SF shipped eggs shipped on a Sat, arrived on Mon. and went in the incubator on Thu vs. the Cochin shipped eggs which shipped on Mon, arrived on Wed and went in on Thu.

SF eggs - 11/11 viable
Coc eggs - 7/11 viable (2 clears - 2 blood rings)

Do you think it's possible that the extra time resting made that difference?

SF came from FL
Coc from Ohio

Last edited:
Me too!!! That fun and funky assorted is always at the top of my wish list. Go to eBay right now and search fertile silkie eggs the farm I got mine from just relisted another bunch and I got mine (9) for $30shipped. I think the fun and funky ships free though right? But you need a big #?
Just saw that the fun and funky is 10% off... so it's $20.95 and free shipping for 3 eggs...

It occurred to me that my SF shipped eggs shipped on a Sat, arrived on Mon. and went in the incubator on Thu vs. the Cochin shipped eggs which shipped on Mon, arrived on Wed and went in on Thu.

SF eggs - 11/11 viable
Coc eggs - 7/11 viable (2 clears - 2 blood rings)

Do you think it's possible that the extra time resting made that difference?

SF came from FL
Coc from Ohio

I'd say it helped to have them sit longer, however I'm sure the travel scenario of both eggs also made the difference. Maybe the Coc had a harder shipment, or it could be fertility issues, or even genetics of the parents. Either way, you have 18 fluffy butts growing!

I did another weigh and candled today to be sure why air cells were like. Still really small air cells so I am keeping my humidity closer to 30 today and tomorrow. I've been told not to candle during days 11-14 so I will check again on day 15 for final tweaking.

I did take more time looking at eggs and have now confirmed 29 out of 33 eggs growing so I took the 4 out because they were obvious clears.

Ah man, :/ :rolleyes: My favorite juvenile cockerel just crowed for the first and second time today. I was hoping he would wait until after 10 weeks or so... I haven't had a chance to get a no crow collar for him yet.

Back
Top Bottom