Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by CoopDeDoo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. LilChickens2

LilChickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA

That's great news on the brown eggs. I heard blue eggs were harder to candle. I have one in my batch but I don't candle for another 5 days.

2. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA

Yay! I love BCMs but their shells are sooooo dark. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida

Thanks! Mine are from Eight Acres Farm. Beautiful chocolate brown eggs... I can wait!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. machinfarm

machinfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Weatherford, TX
    I know I'm a little late to this, but I'm going to be setting eggs for the very first time tomorrow, which I think will be a Valentine's Day hatch! I have 18 buff Orpington eggs from my own backyard flock. I bought a used Little Giant with a turner, fan, and better thermostat/hygrometer and a used homemade incubator. I've had them both running for almost 24 hours and the temps are fluctuating from 98.5-100.9 but staying right in there. The humidity on the LG has been high (65%) but the homemade one has been holding steady in the low 30s all day so I guess that will be the one I use, even though I'll have to manually turn them.
    I'm nervous, I went and counted my chickens before they hatched as they say and promised someone 6 chicks. Hopefully that works out.
    Fingers crossed! :fl

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Hi!!! Welcome to the hatch! :)
    Could you put the little giant turner into the homemade bator??

6. machinfarm

machinfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2015
    Weatherford, TX
    I can try! The homemade one has a pretty neat little tray that has pvc pipes that actually extend through the sides to the outside so you can turn them without opening it (like a foosball table), and I can't remove it but I might be able to place the LG one on top of it. If I can't that's alright, I'm a stay at home mama and I'm sure I'll be staring at these eggs all day anyway, haha! How often should I turn them? I'll just put an alarm in my phone to go off every x-amount of hours. I've heard people say as often as every four hours and others say as infrequent as two times a day.
    Also I guess it's all subjective but I'm seeing a huge range in recommended humidity for the first 17 days, 30-55%! That's a big range! I guess I just have to find out what works for my environment through trial and error?
    Maybe I can use the LG as a hatcher since its holding onto humidity like a champ!

7. RookyChickMama

RookyChickMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Texas
    Candled tonight, got to see the little embryo swimming around! So cute, my daughter loved it!

1 person likes this.
  8. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    When I hand turned eggs I turned 3 times a day. You always turn an odd number of times a day so the eggs don't stay in the same position 2 nights in a row.
    Hatching humidity....well, it depends on who you ask!!! Some prefer to hatch "dry" which is less than 40 per cent until lockdown. I personally have had good success with the dry method, especially in a styrofoam incubator. In the end you will need to find out what works best for you. Hope you have a great first hatch. Can't wait to see how it turns out for you!! :)

9. RookyChickMama

RookyChickMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Texas
    It's pretty dry here in north central Tx my humidity stays between 45-50% until lockdown topping off the water troughs every three days. It's staying pretty steady in my new model little giant, all dozen eggs are kicking around in there. I hand turn mine three times a day, and the temperature comes right back up in no time.

10. LilChickens2

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    I'm not familiar with Eight Acres Farm. Are they well known or on BYC? I'm still learning about the hatching egg suppliers. I just ordered some Cochins off BYC and they will hopefully be here next week. I keep looking around for my future buys and would like to learn about new places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by