Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Quote:
How well do those little guys fly? Have been thinking about batams but I am admittingly bad about keeping up on clipped wings :p
My Seramas can REALLY fly
1f602.png
but they are pretty well socialized (as most are because it is pretty easy to tame Seramas) and just hang out even when I let them out. You should get bantams! And I don't clip there wings eother
1f44d.png

My Seramas can REALLY fly
1f602.png
but they are pretty well socialized (as most are because it is pretty easy to tame Seramas) and just hang out even when I let them out. You should get bantams! And I don't clip there wings eother
1f44d.png
I love watching my Silkies attempt to fly. It's like they want to SO bad. Once mine did... but only because I had plugged in a big fan to cool them down during the summer and I did not notice that it was left switched onto "high".... whoops!

She teaches 1st grade. Last year her class loved it. Especially when the chicks started peeping in the shells. They were so excited when they hatched but I had to make sure they didn't open it until the day after to give some more a chance to hatch. They all got to hold the chicks. One of the other teachers took them home. It wasn't a great hatch only 5 survived. I think the school had a couple power outages over a weekend.
I teach 3rd and we are doing a classroom hatch in a few weeks. My kids are beyond excited to have the "crazy chicken teacher" this year. We have been studying life cycles and my little scientist are learning all the technical terms that come with incubating and hatching. That is sad about the power outtages... we have custodial staff that will stop in and check on things during the weekend- a perk of being a really small school.

My 8yr old daughter and I are creating a day by day video diary of the 40 eggs we set on Jan. 21. My humidity gauge is acting up so I'm candling and weighing every 3 days to watch those air sacks. My daughter was able to see the moving in the eggs and she was jumping for joy.
1f602.png

My 8yr old daughter and I are creating a day by day video diary of the 40 eggs we set on Jan. 21. My humidity gauge is acting up so I'm candling and weighing every 3 days to watch those air sacks. My daughter was able to see the moving in the eggs and she was jumping for joy.
1f602.png

Oh my goodness, I love that you are involving your daughter. My girls love to learn about the cycle of the eggs and babies.

I'm weighing every 3 days as well. I'm also checking air cells because they are not matching up (numbers and air cells). Or I can't keep my stinkin' hands off them! :rolleyes: In all honesty I'm worried my air cells are really small for my liking. These are from day 8. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom