Early morning squawking hen

Jul 20, 2018
good morning all,

We have a RIR hen (about 1.5 years) that in the last 2 weeks has begun squawking (very similar to their egg song) beginning at 6am and continuing on and off for 2-3 hours. We live in a suburban neighborhood and the legality of our chickens by way of the HOA is precarious at best so I’d like for her to be quiet that early in the morning.

We have two chickens right now, our other two (we had 4 total) recently passed. Is it because there’s only two of them or could there be something else going on?

We plan to get more chicks but they won’t be available until at least next month so that means 3ish months until more chickens will be out there with them full time.

I’d love any thoughts or feedback. Thanks!

My thoughts are when you lost the two the remaining birds went into panic mode and are hyper-vigilant. Sounds more like alarm calling. The other option is some critter is poking around your coop and spooking them.

So I didn’t put two and two together but the other hen (a Black Australorp) has been broody and in the nesting box. It could be that the RIR is alarming because she “can’t find” the BA. the BA was in a broody breaking dog crate the last two days and broke last night and then no squawking this morning. We have have solved the mystery.

So I didn’t put two and two together but the other hen (a Black Australorp) has been broody and in the nesting box. It could be that the RIR is alarming because she “can’t find” the BA. the BA was in a broody breaking dog crate the last two days and broke last night and then no squawking this morning. We have have solved the mystery.
That would definitely do it. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom