Early pipping/hatching again? Any advice?

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
This is my second hatch with my Hovabator 1588. The first time, they started pipping and hatching on day 19. (10 out of 12 eggs hatched.) So this time I lowered the temperature. It has been between 99 and 100 degrees throughout. 99.5 is the goal, correct?

Put the eggs in lockdown on Wednesday evening, day 18 (if I counted right). They were due to hatch on Saturday (set on the 4th). They were chirping and pipping yesterday, and the first one hatched at 11 pm last night. Two more were hatched by 7:30 am. Now there are 5 hatched. I'm waiting for more pips.

I set 37 eggs total on the 4th, and then gave 4 of them to my broody hen a week later. I saw her hop briefly off the nest to eat this morning, and hers are not hatching yet. Couldn't see if they were pipped or not.

This is going to sound like a stupid question... I thought day 21 was when they begin hatching. But twice now it's been starting on day 19. Is this normal?

The chicks hatched just fine and look normal. They are buzzing around happily in the incubator.

I think, like with people, there's a range of normal. Anywhere from day 19 to day 23 is still in that range.

My first hatch started on day 20, and completed by noon on day 21, all hatched and healthy. They're all hopping around the brooder box now.

Unless you have other health problems happening that would indicate temperature/humidity problems, I would say don't mess with what works!

This is my second hatch with my Hovabator 1588. The first time, they started pipping and hatching on day 19. (10 out of 12 eggs hatched.) So this time I lowered the temperature. It has been between 99 and 100 degrees throughout. 99.5 is the goal, correct?

Put the eggs in lockdown on Wednesday evening, day 18 (if I counted right). They were due to hatch on Saturday (set on the 4th). They were chirping and pipping yesterday, and the first one hatched at 11 pm last night. Two more were hatched by 7:30 am. Now there are 5 hatched. I'm waiting for more pips.

I set 37 eggs total on the 4th, and then gave 4 of them to my broody hen a week later. I saw her hop briefly off the nest to eat this morning, and hers are not hatching yet. Couldn't see if they were pipped or not.

This is going to sound like a stupid question... I thought day 21 was when they begin hatching. But twice now it's been starting on day 19. Is this normal?

The chicks hatched just fine and look normal. They are buzzing around happily in the incubator.
LOL. Yes, 21 days is the average. But, it is only an average. As long as they are hatching developed/healthy and happy there's no need for alarm. My last two hatches started on 19 as well. The next to the last half pipped on day 19 but started hatching day 20 and finished day 21. The last hatch started pipping and hatching day 19, was pretty much finished day 20 with just one last one hatching day 21...lol

Back
Top Bottom