1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early stage of Bumble foot need advice any success stories w/out surgery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelly77, Oct 10, 2013.

1. kelly77

kelly77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    One of my young roosters has the early stages of Bumble foot. I am pretty sure he got it either from the wood chips in the run which I have now removed (we had a real muddy year) or from perching on a crowded nesting box which I since had to block off. I am around my chickens everyday and yesterday noticed he was limping so I got him and put him in a large dog cage w another chicken so he wouldn't get to stressed out. I did research and learned about Bumble foot. His foot does look swollen and there is a callous looking circle but its not black. The Vet said sometimes it caught and cured by Betadine soaks and oral antibiotics ...clean feet and keeping the foot bandaged. Is this true? I am doing Tylan 50 1/4 cc daily, Betadine soaks and the foot gets a new dressing everyday. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan is not the right antibiotic for bumblefoot. That would be procaine penicillin injection, available in the refrigerated meds at your farm store. There are people that do soaks with Tricide Neo, a fish medicine available online, and with epsom salts. I basically ignore it unless the chicken limps or has a swollen foot pad, then I do the surgery. Here is some info: http://www.koiacres.com/koi-acres-products/tricide-neo.html

3. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    Is there any kind of antibiotic that can be given orally? He is limping but the swelling isnt huge like most peoples pictures

4. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    oh and what would be the dosage for a bantam? Thank u for your reply

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
  7. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    I am going to take a picture of his foot tomorrow when I clean and soak his feet. Today I tried to attempt to cut around the circle part and he started screaming..so that tells me that there isnt any dead tissue. Im really confused because all the cases I have seen of Bumble foot there is a black scab he does not have that. Is it possible the foot is just swollen from jumping off a perch? I think a picture will help ..so I will get that done

8. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    my chicken ellie had the same problem, but when i was looking at it the scab just came right off with a lot of blood, so we put a poultry antiseptic powder on it and bandaged it up for a week an now her feet are bumblefoot free. a couple of days ago i had to do it on both feet of my hen maxi as well and now on one of her feet the scab had all ready gone!

9. kelly77

Jul 20, 2012
    What powder did you use? The name ....I hope I can find it around here Id like to try it

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you post a picture of the bumblefoot it might help. Also look up some threads on the Triside Neo--many people report it doing a good job getting rid of bumblefoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by