Early stage of Bumble foot need advice any success stories w/out surgery?

kelly77

Songster
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
One of my young roosters has the early stages of Bumble foot. I am pretty sure he got it either from the wood chips in the run which I have now removed (we had a real muddy year) or from perching on a crowded nesting box which I since had to block off. I am around my chickens everyday and yesterday noticed he was limping so I got him and put him in a large dog cage w another chicken so he wouldn't get to stressed out. I did research and learned about Bumble foot. His foot does look swollen and there is a callous looking circle but its not black. The Vet said sometimes it caught and cured by Betadine soaks and oral antibiotics ...clean feet and keeping the foot bandaged. Is this true? I am doing Tylan 50 1/4 cc daily, Betadine soaks and the foot gets a new dressing everyday. Is there anything else I can do?

Tylan is not the right antibiotic for bumblefoot. That would be procaine penicillin injection, available in the refrigerated meds at your farm store. There are people that do soaks with Tricide Neo, a fish medicine available online, and with epsom salts. I basically ignore it unless the chicken limps or has a swollen foot pad, then I do the surgery. Here is some info: http://www.koiacres.com/koi-acres-products/tricide-neo.html

Is there any kind of antibiotic that can be given orally? He is limping but the swelling isnt huge like most peoples pictures

Tylan is not the right antibiotic for bumblefoot. That would be procaine penicillin injection, available in the refrigerated meds at your farm store. There are people that do soaks with Tricide Neo, a fish medicine available online, and with epsom salts. I basically ignore it unless the chicken limps or has a swollen foot pad, then I do the surgery. Here is some info: http://www.koiacres.com/koi-acres-products/tricide-neo.html
oh and what would be the dosage for a bantam? Thank u for your reply

I am going to take a picture of his foot tomorrow when I clean and soak his feet. Today I tried to attempt to cut around the circle part and he started screaming..so that tells me that there isnt any dead tissue. Im really confused because all the cases I have seen of Bumble foot there is a black scab he does not have that. Is it possible the foot is just swollen from jumping off a perch? I think a picture will help ..so I will get that done

my chicken ellie had the same problem, but when i was looking at it the scab just came right off with a lot of blood, so we put a poultry antiseptic powder on it and bandaged it up for a week an now her feet are bumblefoot free. a couple of days ago i had to do it on both feet of my hen maxi as well and now on one of her feet the scab had all ready gone!

my chicken ellie had the same problem, but when i was looking at it the scab just came right off with a lot of blood, so we put a poultry antiseptic powder on it and bandaged it up for a week an now her feet are bumblefoot free. a couple of days ago i had to do it on both feet of my hen maxi as well and now on one of her feet the scab had all ready gone!
What powder did you use? The name ....I hope I can find it around here Id like to try it

If you post a picture of the bumblefoot it might help. Also look up some threads on the Triside Neo--many people report it doing a good job getting rid of bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom