Earthworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Artemis Fowl, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Ok so I went fishing over the weekend and had a few earthworms left so I decided to give some to my chickens, I started with two worms to see how they would react and they went CRAZY! My big BR (Big Bertha) got one and started roaring? My question is can they handle the earthworms and was she just bragging about how good they tasted?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    My flock plays "keep away" when one finds a worm and it it good entertainment. I understand they are quit nutritious, but I prefer to keep the worms in the garden and compost just like I don't want to feed the chickens to the dogs. Each tenant has a job to do.
    On a side note: I understand that if you feed earth worms corn meal and change it a few times that you can wad the worms up into a ball and flatten it like hamburger. You should fry them in oil as they will probably stick. If you try this, let me know how it was.[​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:umm...really? I am not sure I will ever be that hungry. I'd eat the corn meal first.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Earthworms can be hosts for certain internal parasites. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM015 If you fry them up in oil, it should kill any parasite eggs...therefore meat on the table mmmmmm!!!

5. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That is an excellent link thanks.

6. Artemis Fowl

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:Earthworms can be hosts for certain internal parasites. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM015 If you fry them up in oil, it should kill any parasite eggs...therefore meat on the table mmmmmm!!!

You think my chickies are at risk for parasites now?

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Honestly, I think all birds that are on the ground are at risk. Grasshoppers fly into our run all of the time.
    I plan on a wazine worming in November, and follow it up with one of the ivermectins, then once a year with just the ivermec.

8. Artemis Fowl

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Well if thats the case any idea on what I should do with the extra worms? Besides eat them myself [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Hahahaha! lolol. Nah, go ahead and give them to your chickens. If you have regular worming schedule, you have nothing to worry about.

10. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yep, if your chickes have access to dirt they will be eating worms and grubs of all sorts anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by