1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Earwigs In The Coop....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick818, Oct 4, 2009.

1. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Does anyone else have this problem. If I open the coop door at night for a peak, I find lots of earwigs in the pine shavings. Grosses me out but can it harm the chickens? They don't seem to care that they are in there, they certainly don't eat them. At least not that I have seen.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Something happened this year with the earwig population. I've never seen so many in Tennessee. There's everywhere.

Now that it's getting cooler, I'm not seeing so many, but a couple of months ago, geez!!!!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We don't have any as our chickens gobble them up the minute they see them. Don't your chickens eat them?

5. chick818

Apr 22, 2009
    Your not kidding... A couple of times I opened that door they were all over the floor. Creeps me out, just give me chills now to think about it. But it is so out of my control. Like I said the chickens don't seemed bothered by it.

Intersting link on the earwigs, thanks for the info.

~ Tara

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Definitely yes, but I'd still find clusters of them under rocks, in the garage, anytime I was pulling weeds, and constantly in the house. It was definitely a bumper crop earwig year.

7. chick818

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:No, I haven't seen them eat them. Probably because it's dark? Not sure why. Maybe they get the leftovers in the morning. Sometimes there are still a few in there.

YUCK..

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Funny you say that. I haven't seen one this year, and usually they're all over the Dahlia blossoms. I have been seeing something like a little black grasshoppers that I haven't seen before.

Back on topic- Remember that movie in the 70's, about the earwig that chewed its way into the man's brain. I've been creeped out by them since.

Imp

9. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Earwigs don't actually go into people ears. It is a misnomer. They eat small insects and plants. My chickens eat them all the time. They seem to be one of their favorite insects.

DB

10. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I've had loads of the down here also this year and my chicks seem to thoughly enjoy them.

On a side note I've also had a lot of huge roaches (the kind that are 2-3 inches long) in the coop.. They like them also.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by