Easiest brooder setup

nkvmdsrs127

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
I will receive my first chicks (ever) in early April. I am very excited to raise chicks, but not crafty. What is the best brooder box/setup I can buy? I will bring home 4 chicks & plan to keep in my finished basement until they can go outside in the coop. I have the EcoGlow Safety brooder & good advice on bedding, waterers + feeders. Thank you!

I've always liked this idea:
1611504664485.png

Because it's well ventilated, has a roof, the solid parts on the bottom of the walls will help with dust, and you can reach in from the side rather than the top. Unfortunately, they're a bit expensive at around $40.

If you have a large dog crate, those work well too. You need to line the bottom foot or so with cardboard until the chicks are too big to get between the bars. If you don't have one, though, they can be pricey. Or cheap if you can get one used, or borrow one.

I used a 64 gal plastic container with a wire top. I also used heated brooder plates. They are much better than the heat lamps that are on all the time. Chicks make a tremendous amount of dust. I wouldn't keep them in the house unless you have a separate room that you don't care about. Thick dust will get on everything. I plan on using my sun porch this Spring and removing everything that cannot be vacuumed. Last year I used my office. What a mistake. In about three weeks I moved them to a dog exercise wire fence enclosure as they out grew the plastic tote. I had 7 chicks. They stayed in it until 8 weeks then they went to the coop on a nice day. They were my first chicks.

I've always liked this idea:
View attachment 2501071
Because it's well ventilated, has a roof, the solid parts on the bottom of the walls will help with dust, and you can reach in from the side rather than the top. Unfortunately, they're a bit expensive at around $40.
link if possible? Thanks!

Do you have a coop yet? If so, you might give brooding in the coop or secure run a shot. For our 2nd batch of chicks we brooded outdoors. That seemed easier and better for the chicks. IMHO. Here is a short article we did on brooding outdoors. After the chicks integrated we just left the shell of the brooder in the run as furniture, hiding spot.

Brooder in covered run - Updated 7/11 Six weeks

Back
Top Bottom