Easiest way to mark eggs from hens?

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
What is the best method to collect eggs from select hens?

I have a variety of hens but only want to collect eggs from my Turkens, 3 out of 4 EEs, and slw.
Nearly all my breeds are brown layers so I can’t tell the eggs apart. And one EE has a deformed scull so I don’t want to hatch her eggs.

Ive heard of using food coloring and lipstick. Are these reliable? When do you put it on to make sure it marks the egg?

I think I have heard that you can rub a bit of food coloring inside the vent, and then when they lay the egg the coloring will smear on the shell? I am not a pro so someone correct me if it is a bad idea.
I understand the intention of how that should work - in theory.

But then you get into the question of whether its really advisable to put things where things don't normally go!

Plus.. I wonder about the possibility of the food coloring will be expelled with pooping and running out before the egg is laid - risking an unmarked egg??

Have to admit though - I'm curious to see if anyone has actually used the method and how well it worked.

Haha, yeah. I wasn’t really mentally prepared to be putting anything in my hens vents. Around the rim seems plenty invasive 😬
Ehh, honestly when I first heard about it, I thought you picked the bird up, had her upside down and dripped the coloring intonthe vent as it flexes. Didn't sound so invasive honestly

It worked! Only one egg from a marked hen so far.
A22F6D9B-2E90-416E-9F7A-FB92D07378D5.jpeg
I don’t know if anyone wants to see the coloring on the vent so I tried the spoiler button for the first time. (Hope it works)
I only used one drop of color. I held the dropper a couple inches away. When the drop hit she contracted her vent a few times. She also pooped right after🤦‍♀️ Her poop was purple😝
Here is the egg.
386C9255-33BB-49E4-B844-7B50269F2C3F.png

Perhaps there are some methods that others know of - but I would imagine the only foolproof way to guarantee to you collect from your desired selection of hens is:

To only have those hens in the pen. If there is only *one* hen you do not want to hatch from can you remove her from the pen for the collection period??

Perhaps there are some methods that others know of - but I would imagine the only foolproof way to guarantee to you collect from your desired selection of hens is:

To only have those hens in the pen. If there is only *one* hen you do not want to hatch from can you remove her from the pen for the collection period??
I have 11 other hens I don’t want to collect from.
I do have a brooder box in the coop I could pen some hens in. Likely not all the ones I want to collect from though. There are 8 hens and the brooder is only 4’x3’*i think*
Would they even lay still if I confine them to small quarters?

My plan is to collect eggs next week and start incubation on the 30th.

I think I have heard that you can rub a bit of food coloring inside the vent, and then when they lay the egg the coloring will smear on the shell? I am not a pro so someone correct me if it is a bad idea.

Inside the vent😳 I thought it went right around the outside rim. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom