Easter chicks...small rant

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I had a small batch of some chicks hatch last week, and I decided I would *try* to sell them locally, to see if anybody would be interested. Well, I thought I had somebody good, but when they said they wanted them for easter, it made me sick to my stomach. Why do people who have never raised baby chicks before think it is a fun idea to get some chicks for easter? I just dont get it.
somad.gif
These are baby chicks, living, breathing, feeling, baby chicks. Why not get a stuffed animal instead? So, I will be waiting until a week or so after easter is over. I will not be selling my chicks where they will be discarded when they get "boring".

because commercial advertising has attached them to the easter season.... much like 101 Dalmations caused a spike in dalmation breeding, and I suspect Marley & Me will do with labradors.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a disturbing trend.
sad.png
Several threads have already been started about this topic. You are doing the right thing to wait till after Easter to sell.

Amen. Honestly, I had a nurse at my doctors office ask me if I had chicks a year or so ago, I asked if there was any breed she would like, no, just any chicken as long as the chick is yellow.

As it turned out, she bought from someone who had them "in stock. That was fine until I went in and listened to her complaining about how the chicks just went out into the shed and were eaten.

So she went to get more! Accidents do happen, but by the end of the summer, I asked how the new chicks were, she said they are still so small! Couldn't understand it. Six 7 week old chicks in a 10 gallon aquarium in the kids room. (now you don't think I kept quiet do you) Then 5 weeks later I went in for my appt, I asked how the birds are doing, and I almost cried. Well, the girls put them in the hutch and they died. I said why, she said she asked and well the two 9 year olds didn't water or feed them.

If I hadn't been in need of that appt and that particular doctor, I would have flown across that desk.

Needless to say, good for you Sundown! Good for you.
(what is funny is I was going to do signs for the may 30 chickenstock about how to save a chicken! )

Well, because of the non-Christian aspects of this time of year that have been integrated into our society, i.e., the fertility symbols of eggs/chicks/reproduction. That's just simple fact so don't get angry with me for saying it. Some do not know why chicks at this time of year, they just do it because it's become a tradition. So, now, we have thousands of chicks dying in horrible ways just to satisfy some tradition. You asked why chicks are purchased at Easter, that's why. Simple as that. Last year, I had a little argument with some jerk selling chicks on the street corner at a flea market just before the holiday. Told me they didn't need any heat, that he got them from England. All sort of atrocities with chicks happen right about now. I'd wait till it was over before selling anyone chicks or at least get the info on why they are buying them.
somad.gif

sad.png
well, make them sign something saying they will bring the babies back to you and sell em to them .....

I always include notes with my babies saying "My babies will always have a home with me, i will take them back gladly and ask no questions. "

I agree - I've gotten a ton of calls for Easter chicks, and you can tell when they say they only want 2 or 3. I won't sell them; sorry. I also had someone call looking for 2 ducklings. They actually asked if I thought it would be ok for them to let them go at a local pond. Said I couldn't help them.
somad.gif

When I was 6 years old ( back around the time JFK got killed) my parents bought 6 chicks for me and my 2 sisters. One of my sisters killed 2 trying to get them to fly. We fed and watered the other 4 in the basement until they got to about 3 weeks. At that time my Dad took them to a farm and the farmer took over. Last year the feed store in town dyed the chicks in different colors for easter.

Back
Top Bottom