Easter Egger and Silkie HELP!

chickenchichi

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
McDonough, GA
I need help figuring out the gender of two of my chicks, an Easter Egger and a Silkie both at two months. They're both favorites within our flock, so I'm really crossing my fingers they're pullets.

I know the front part looks red, but I think it may just be the contrast against the white. In reality it's more the color of the partridge feathers that are coming in on her chest and back.

Last edited:
Need to know how old they are? If they are over 6 weeks I'd say the easter egger is a pullet and the silkie is a cockerel.

Ahh, sorry I missed that. I see that now. I'd say the easter is very likely a pullet. And the silkie...I really think its a cockerel, going by the wide, heavy comb it already has. But its still possible its a pullet. Silkies are tough to judge as they are growing.

Ahh, sorry I missed that. I see that now. I'd say the easter is very likely a pullet. And the silkie...I really think its a cockerel, going by the wide, heavy comb it already has. But its still possible its a pullet. Silkies are tough to judge as they are growing.

It's fine! Yeah, the comb was really worrying me on the silkie, and it's as 'friendly' as my other cockerels too. But it's good to know the EE looks like a pullet, my little sister picked her out as a chick so naturally she's attached now.

It amazes me that some people say "How can you get attached to chickens?". And I say "How could you not!!"

It is awfully early for a silkie, maybe the chick will grow into that comb but, at this time it looks like a cockerel to me.

H! I went out to the coop this morning and Artist, the EE's, comb was this color. Does this mean she's more likely to be a cockerel? I can't see any peas on the comb, it's basically just a line, but I don't want to judge it based only on that.

Since Easter Eggers are essentially cross breeds its possible she could have a single comb. There are general guide lines that Easter Eggers generally fall into, pea comb, slate legs, etc. But its not uncommon for Easter Eggers to be single combed and yellow legged either. At this age its common for pullets to start getting some red in their combs. If its a cockerel he's very slow developing. I'd say the chances are still very good that its a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom