Easter Egger club!

An easy way to tell if it's a real Ameraucana or Araucana is to look at how they list it.

Over $10 for chicks and has a color before it's name (i.e. - "Blue Ameraucana") = real.

Under $10 and no color listed, misspelled ("Americana") or listed under a dual name ("Ameraucana/Araucana") = Easter Egger.

An easy way to tell if it's a real Ameraucana or Araucana is to look at how they list it.

Over $10 for chicks and has a color before it's name (i.e. - "Blue Ameraucana") = real.

Under $10 and no color listed, misspelled ("Americana") or listed under a dual name ("Ameraucana/Araucana") = Easter Egger.

Our EE's were listed as Araucana- "Easter Egger". I knew they were EE's, though only because I researched extensively.. but you're right, many people would be and most assuredly are very mislead by the chick choices due to how they are listed.

Okay I have a question for all of you EE'ers. I have 8 EE's Bought offline from TSC labeled as Americana's. They are just a bit over 2 weeks old and already getting really good wingtip feathers. # about several days ago started getting feathers at base of wings. By base I mean on back right behind Neck. They aren't hackles as I know what those look like. Howver they had these feathers several days before the rest of the flock. Now I have all but maybe 2 or 3 that have fairly long feathers on wing tips and at wing base. The definite 2 that do not have pronounced feathers at base of wings are also the smallest of the flock.
I've heard differing opinions regarding Feathers. Some ppl have told me that Rapid feather growth means it's a rooster. Other Ppl have told me that hens usually get Feathers faster.
I know from experience that Roosters of backyard Game chickens feather in much faster than hens and are just about always identifiable from size at this stage with about a 75% chance of getting it right.
Question is what's your opinion or experience regarding this and EE's

Okay I have a question for all of you EE'ers. I have 8 EE's Bought offline from TSC labeled as Americana's. They are just a bit over 2 weeks old and already getting really good wingtip feathers. # about several days ago started getting feathers at base of wings. By base I mean on back  right behind Neck. They aren't hackles as I know what those look like. Howver they had these feathers several days before the rest of the flock. Now I have all but maybe 2 or 3 that have fairly long feathers on wing tips  and at wing base. The definite 2 that do not have pronounced feathers at base of wings are also the smallest of the flock.
      I've heard differing opinions regarding Feathers. Some ppl have told me that Rapid feather growth means it's a rooster. Other Ppl have told me that hens usually get Feathers faster.
      I know from experience that Roosters of backyard Game chickens feather in much faster than hens and are just about always identifiable from size at this stage with about a 75% chance of getting it right. 
    Question is what's your opinion or experience regarding this and EE's
I have never seen any correlation between feathering rate and sex of Chicks in Easter eggers

@combatfuzzball

I bought one male and two female EEs and the male was marked with purple on the head. They are three weeks old and all feathering and developing identically. In fact, I don't know which is the male anymore because the purple came off already. So either is a fluke and they sexed either the male or both females wrong, or they don't have the developmental differences that some other breeds do around this age and before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom