Easter Egger club!

Its March madness around here, new EE chicks ready to join the flock
jumpy.gif

The new hatchlings just keep a coming .

A, + 20 year old incubator and it still works and it is all manual operations .

I'm not a fan of Wyans unless they're bantam.  And I love your description of the loveable EEs as "spastic."  That does describe them well and describes the pure Ameraucanas well also.  Sweet sweet birds!  But then, I love the gentle timid birds that don't go around picking fights on weaker flockmates.

I hope the Wyandotte are sweet, I was under the impression they were. I will be sad if they are ornery, I really wanted to avoid personalities like my Reds but get something different than my Orpingtons though I love them.

Okay I have a question for all of you EE'ers. I have 8 EE's Bought offline from TSC labeled as Americana's. They are just a bit over 2 weeks old and already getting really good wingtip feathers. # about several days ago started getting feathers at base of wings. By base I mean on back  right behind Neck. They aren't hackles as I know what those look like. Howver they had these feathers several days before the rest of the flock. Now I have all but maybe 2 or 3 that have fairly long feathers on wing tips  and at wing base. The definite 2 that do not have pronounced feathers at base of wings are also the smallest of the flock.
      I've heard differing opinions regarding Feathers. Some ppl have told me that Rapid feather growth means it's a rooster. Other Ppl have told me that hens usually get Feathers faster.
      I know from experience that Roosters of backyard Game chickens feather in much faster than hens and are just about always identifiable from size at this stage with about a 75% chance of getting it right. 
    Question is what's your opinion or experience regarding this and EE's

No correlation. You might be able to see pointy male saddle feathers barely peeking through the skin at 14 weeks. Only helpful if you have a male and can compare to other females. Give it time, post pictures and we can help you, but not until at least 8 weeks.

Okay I have a question for all of you EE'ers. I have 8 EE's Bought offline from TSC labeled as Americana's. They are just a bit over 2 weeks old and already getting really good wingtip feathers. # about several days ago started getting feathers at base of wings. By base I mean on back  right behind Neck. They aren't hackles as I know what those look like. Howver they had these feathers several days before the rest of the flock. Now I have all but maybe 2 or 3 that have fairly long feathers on wing tips  and at wing base. The definite 2 that do not have pronounced feathers at base of wings are also the smallest of the flock.
      I've heard differing opinions regarding Feathers. Some ppl have told me that Rapid feather growth means it's a rooster. Other Ppl have told me that hens usually get Feathers faster.
      I know from experience that Roosters of backyard Game chickens feather in much faster than hens and are just about always identifiable from size at this stage with about a 75% chance of getting it right. 
    Question is what's your opinion or experience regarding this and EE's

I just reread this and it sounds like your chicks are feathering very slow! Mine are the weeks and almost fully feathered except for the head. Are you keeping them too warm maybe?

I'm new here I did have one sweet EE girl she was killed in january but layed one of the prettiest light green egg I have seen so now in tribute to my sweet ms. Blue I ordered a dozen EEs to hatch out on Easter. So along with the beautiful eggs a I'll hope to have some pretty looking girls. Ms. Blue was a bantam the eggs I'm getting are large breed. And was wondering about the Roos with my ladies knowing you might have that answer but must I have a EE Roo to keep the offspring laying colored eggs?

Back
Top Bottom