Easter Egger club!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EastinChickens, Jun 18, 2010.

1. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the hatch

2. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Hi everyone! I read somewhere that a cockerels comb will have 3 rows of peas. is this usually the case? mine are just under 3 weeks but some signs of comb are starting. I have 11 chicks and one is suppose to be male. thank you for any help with this.

3. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

I read the same thing and am wondering the same thing. I have a few EEs that I'm wondering as well.

4. Gryphon

Gryphon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    Because some EE's are so mixed, the three row/comb thing doesn't always apply, but it usually is the case. Typically their comb is redder than the females, larger, and wider. Your mileage may vary, of course.

5. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Think of EE's as the junk yard dog. Like Gryphon said, they are a mix of many different breeds so there is no set standard for them. They aren't a recognized breed.

6. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    I reckon you pretty much just have to wait until they crow or lay an egg, eh? haha

I have 1 I'm now quite sure is a rooster out of our EEs, and 2 that I think are pullets but they have a good sized 3 row peacomb, but no sign of redness. The roo is the typical black/white coloration with an awesome black beard and his comb is just starting to turn red. :)

7. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I have the best luck telling roos from pullets by looking at their combs, which usually grow bigger faster on the young roos than a pullet and the roos legs are noticeably larger, stockier than the pullets.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Thank you everyone for the info on combs. I am just starting with my first roo and trying to get ideas on how to identify him from the pullets. 11 in all 6 are banty. one is turning black and white.[​IMG]

9. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    Here's pics from the EEs today. :) (Fearless' photo is from a day or two ago)

#1 Reese

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #6, Fearless
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jomini

Jomini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    East Texas "Marshall"
    #4 [​IMG] [​IMG] I love number 4's coloring and feathers.... It's gonna be a pretty one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by