Easter Egger club!

It's true in most cases but it really only helps with brown and white layers. White earlobes= white eggs (like leghorns) Red/dark earlobes= brown eggs(like rocks). It unfortunately does not apply to EE with any accuracy.

I don't know if it's true but I heard that the color of their ears is the color they will lay. Can't remember where I read that. Anyone heard that before?

Insanity is correct there is a link to earlobe color sort of but not to EE eggs, the reason for this myth about earlobes is the earlobe color link is not a natural link but an artificially selected for link, in other words someone got the bright idea to breed white earlobes on birds that lay white eggs, so it is not a true gentic link it is a selected for trait in some breeds but not all & many breeds that have white earlobes do not lay white eggs, and some red eared birds lay white eggs and not brown. So you can't really tell till they lay. Puddings in the proof as they say.

My 2 EEs
Rose and Blanche!

Insanity is correct there is a link to earlobe color sort of but not to EE eggs, the reason for this myth about earlobes is the earlobe color link is not a natural link but an artificially selected for link, in other words someone got the bright idea to breed white earlobes on birds that lay white eggs, so it is not a true gentic link it is a selected for trait in some breeds but not all & many breeds that have white earlobes do not lay white eggs, and some red eared birds lay white eggs and not brown. So you can't really tell till they lay. Puddings in the proof as they say.
If the earlobe thing was accurate, then silkies would lay turquoise eggs LOL. I have never had a hen lay eggs the color of her earlobes, even my minorcas lay tan eggs not white like they are supposed to per white earlobes.

Seemed to good to be true. I still have a long wait until I find out what colors we are going to get. I'll try and be patient.

Waiting is so hard
th.gif
Now in therory you could breed a bird with blue or greenish earlobes... you need white earlobes for bluish earlobes and yellow earlobes for greenish ones then just add the black/dark skin factor. Should get pretty Ears like on the Silkies.
big_smile.png

Well, I think it is official. I asked you all about a week ago if this chick was a roo...this morning I am pretty sure this little guy tried to crow. I can't be sure because I have never raised baby chicks and never heard a juvenile roo crow, but I think that is what he was doing lol.

So now I have a new question. How many chickens can 1 roo take care of? If he is a rooster, I will have him with 16 hens. I am actually really happy at this news as we lost a chick to a hawk last week, and I will have added peace of mind with a roo on the lookout.

Well, I think it is official. I asked you all about a week ago if this chick was a roo...this morning I am pretty sure this little guy tried to crow. I can't be sure because I have never raised baby chicks and never heard a juvenile roo crow, but I think that is what he was doing lol.

So now I have a new question. How many chickens can 1 roo take care of? If he is a rooster, I will have him with 16 hens. I am actually really happy at this news as we lost a chick to a hawk last week, and I will have added peace of mind with a roo on the lookout.

From what I have read 17 hens. Anymore and fertility drops.

I have always been told that a good roo can take care of up to 12 hens. Thats the ratio I go buy anyway.

Hmmm...if I don't mind if every egg is fertile, then would 1 roo be okay for that amount of hens? I am concerned that if I buy a young cockerel that wasn't handled by me and my boys, that my toddlers may have a higher chance of getting flogged.

I have my first roo now and his main purpose is guarding and watching out for my girls. I really hope he will be too overworked with 30 ladies,but if a few do manage to brood so be it.I really hope I can pair him with a few next year if temperament is good.Just pray he and my one year olds will get along when they meet.I hope to add a second coop next year then get a string of blue giants and roo.Pray my dream will come true, working hard for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom