Easter egger or Americana?!

Chicklady92

Chirping
Mar 7, 2018
Maryland
Hello, I was recently at my local tractor supply and I bought 12 two week old chicks that were titled as Americana pullets for $2.99 a chick. I got them home and settled and did more research as I usually only own RIR lady's. But it occurred to me that I may not have received true americanas but instead Easter egger chicks. I called tractor supply and they informed me they used Hoover Hatchery this year to receive there chicks so I did some research on them and I noticed they call Americanas a possible hybrid. Either way I love the chicks and am happy with a multi or just blue egg layer. But I was wondering what tour experience has been in ordering the americana breed from Hoover's hatchery has been like and what breed you actually received. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20180307_134212.jpg
    20180307_134212.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 20180307_132214.jpg
    20180307_132214.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Resized_20180307_224058.jpg
    Resized_20180307_224058.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Resized_20180307_223947.jpg
    Resized_20180307_223947.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 112
Americana is a commonly used purposeful misspelling employed by some hatcheries to misrepresent their chicks. The proper spelling is Ameraucana. That alone is the 1st clue that these chicks are not true bred Ameraucana.
Further evidence comes from the hatcheries own description which states that their birds are derived from araucana and Ameraucana....true Ameraucan a are a pure breed in and of themselves. They also state that their birds will produce a variety of colors of eggs true Ameraucana produce only blue. Lastly true ameraucana come in a very select number of recognized color types (and some project colors) this description states that the birds come in avariety of colors.

QUICK OVERVIEW
  • Every backyard flock needs a colored egg layer. Our Americana will give you an assortment of colors from turquoise, to olive to light brown. The Americana breed comes from the Araucana and Ameraucana mix and has different color plumage variations. It is because of this genetic combination that our birds are not meant for exhibitio

Americana is a commonly used purposeful misspelling employed by some hatcheries to misrepresent their chicks. The proper spelling is Ameraucana. That alone is the 1st clue that these chicks are not true bred Ameraucana.
Further evidence comes from the hatcheries own description which states that their birds are derived from araucana and Ameraucana....true Ameraucan a are a pure breed in and of themselves. They also state that their birds will produce a variety of colors of eggs true Ameraucana produce only blue. Lastly true ameraucana come in a very select number of recognized color types (and some project colors) this description states that the birds come in avariety of colors.

QUICK OVERVIEW
  • Every backyard flock needs a colored egg layer. Our Americana will give you an assortment of colors from turquoise, to olive to light brown. The Americana breed comes from the Araucana and Ameraucana mix and has different color plumage variations. It is because of this genetic combination that our birds are not meant for exhibitio

Okay thank you! Either way I am happy with the chicks as a breed isn't that important to me sense they will only be pets. I was just curious to what they actually are so I can do the correct research instead of looking up the wrong chicken. Thank you again!!

For what it's worth, Easter eggers actually tend to be more prolific layers then their true bred counterpart. I personally love Easter eggers and always have at least one in my flock. The fact that they do come in such a wide variety of appearances is one of the things I like most about them. For a backyard flock where colorful eggs is the primary goal they're a wonderful choice

For what it's worth, Easter eggers actually tend to be more prolific layers then their true bred counterpart. I personally love Easter eggers and always have at least one in my flock. The fact that they do come in such a wide variety of appearances is one of the things I like most about them. For a backyard flock where colorful eggs is the primary goal they're a wonderful choice
I have 12 chicks now and I love the colors they have now but I know that will change as soon as there feathers come in. My daughter will love the different colored eggs :D

To be honest, I'd normally expect them to be EEs, too, but this time I'm leaning towards them possibly being Ameraucanas. :) They're very cute, and pretty. :love Enjoy your new breed, and the blue egg color when they start to lay! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom