Easter Egger or Americana ?

the-amateur-chicken-lady

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
I would post a picture but my phone sucks with pictures right now, unlike my other Easter Eggers she has a big beard! She has ear tufts like the rest of my Eggers. She is gray and her name is Savannah.

Criteria for ameraucauna:
*blue or slate feet (not green)
*Muffs (not tufts)
*Pea comb
*Blue eggs
*Full tail
So most likely you have an Easter egger unless all of these apply...

I would post a picture but my phone sucks with pictures right now, unlike my other Easter Eggers she has a big beard! She has ear tufts like the rest of my Eggers. She is gray and her name is Savannah.
Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Actually, they are not that rare.. and offered in black and blue (grey) at a few hatcheries. But the fact that your asking means it's most likely an EE. Ameraucana will usually be sold by their color variety.. black, blue, buff, white, red brown, wheaten, silver, etc.. and usually for closer to $20 than $4.

Many EE are very similar to Ameraucana.. most often not matching in accepted feather color patterns to the standard of perfection.

Ameraucana do NOT have ear tufts.. only Araucana have those. Ameraucana do have beards and muffs but not tufts. EE can have any variation as there is no standard. I do understand though how challenging it can be to discern the difference! The following link may help some...
https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/#:~:text=Ameraucanas have beards AND muffs,there is no such breed.

If your gal is solid blue then she may be an Ameraucana. The following link has photos of all the colors that meet the standard. If your gal has a different patter then EE..
http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos

I have bred Ameraucana bantams and I like Ameraucana a lot.. but I absolutely love Easter Eggers!

*blue or slate feet (not green)
The skin color must be white not yellow.. which is what produces greenish legs..

However that is best seen on the bottom of the feet when trying to discern skin color.

Also green happens to be a shade of blue.. and people must work towards the egg color they want by breeding selection.. There were many out crosses made to create most breeds as we know them today and Ameraucana is no exception. Breeding for quality is hard work!
Taken from google images..
1606761908497.png

Americana and easter eggers are the same thing...Ameraucanas are a true breed and if you didn't pay allot then it's most likely an easter egger

Americana and easter eggers are the same thing...Ameraucanas are a true breed and if you didn't pay allot then it's most likely an easter egger
They are actually not. Ameracauna’s indeed breed true and EE don’t, but EE are mutts that cross with a blue/green layer. You can only get a few different feather colors with Ameracauna’s, while EE can be basically anything. Chances are if OP got them from a hatchery, they are EE, but if they got them from a breeder, then they have higher chances of being an Ameracauna.

Ameraucanas (Spelled that way) are an APA recognized breed of chicken. They have an SOP, and always have muffs, beards, pea combs, slate shanks, and lighter bodies with longer necks. They come in distinct, recognizable colors (including but not limited to: blue, black, splash, wheaten) and breed true. An ameraucana x ameraucana is always an ameraucana. They always lay blue eggs. This chicks are more expensive than easter egger chicks, usually at about $20 per chick.

Easter Eggers: Mutts/hybrids usually created from ameraucanas that will often lay green or blue eggs. These guys usually have pea combs and lighter bodies, and will sometimes have muffs, beards, or both. They come in loaaads of colors that aren't recognizable and usually have crazy patterns. They can lay blue, green, brown, tan, or pink, and won't breed true.

Americauna: Easter Egger
Ameracana: Easter Egger
Ameracauna: Easter Egger

Araucana: Another separate breed that, in America, are rumpless and have ear tufts. They have pea combs, come in distinct colors, breed true, and lay blue.

Back
Top Bottom