Easter Egger question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cranman, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Is easter Egger a real breed? I bought two "EE" pullets at the feed store, but aren't they really something like Americaunas or Arauncanas or something?

[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Easter Egger is more a "type" than a breed. They usually have muffs, beards, pea combs, and generally lay green or blue eggs, tho they have been known to lay pink and brown eggs also. They are a variety of colors, very pretty, and the roos are just gorgeous, all different colors. Looks like you have 2 very typical beardy muffy brown EEs...they will grow up to be very pretty.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. gaduke

gaduke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    S.W. Kentucky
    Of my chickens my EE is the most friendly, shes a great layer and very pretty!

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Basically an EE is a cross between a blue egg laying chicken and any other color egg laying chicken. They are not a breed since they do not breed true. Ameraucanas and Araucanas are breeds that typically lay a blue or green egg. I have to agree with halo though, some of the crosses make for gorgeous chickens! Also, as halo stated, you don't know what color egg the EE's will lay until they do.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto what everyone else said. My EE was actually one of my top layers last year. (yes I'm odd, I keep a spreadsheet on who lays)

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Not odd at all, or at least you'd have company if I could figure out who was laying what (I have 3 EEs, all green eggs).

Ameraucana are what I think they usually cross with other breeds to produce EEs. But then again, most hatcheries have had their EE stock for a long time, so they may not have added anything to some strains for a while...

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Not odd at all, or at least you'd have company if I could figure out who was laying what (I have 3 EEs, all green eggs).

Ameraucana are what I think they usually cross with other breeds to produce EEs. But then again, most hatcheries have had their EE stock for a long time, so they may not have added anything to some strains for a while...

Right there. Most people think Easter Eggers are Ameraucana x Araucana, but they aren't. Most EE's out there came from the original "mutt" stock we got from South America, and from there the hatcheries never bred towards anything while the Araucana was being created as well as the Ameraucana. Araucanas are actually from very different birds than Ameraucanas and EE's, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by