Easter Egger Roos or Pullets?

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we will be making a trip out to our friend's farm as we cannot have roosters where we live. We have no idea what breeds they are. All the lady could tell me was that they were blue and green eggs and she advertised them as Easter Eggers. Chicks 1 and 2 look different than chicks 3 and 4. We thought Chick 1 and 2 may be the Marans mix but after looking at some Australorp chick pictures just now, I'm thinking you are right. Below is chick 4 which I believe is a pullet. She had very puffy cheeks when she was smaller...

#4 does look like a pullet. She also has a pea comb, whereas the other three had single combs, which is kinda interesting. She does really look like an Australorp though, but because of her pea comb my guess would be Aussie/Easter Egger cross.

So we received an email today from the lady that sold us the 4 birds. She said she thought that some of her Marans got mixed up with the EE's. This would make sense based on the feedback we have received here. We looked at some 5-6 week old BCM pics and they do seem to look similar. Please let us know if the rooster diagnosis is still the same knowing that they may be Marans. Thanks again for all the replies!

So we received an email today from the lady that sold us the 4 birds. She said she thought that some of her Marans got mixed up with the EE's. This would make sense based on the feedback we have received here. We looked at some 5-6 week old BCM pics and they do seem to look similar. Please let us know if the rooster diagnosis is still the same knowing that they may be Marans. Thanks again for all the replies!

I still say roos on #1, 2, and 3; and #4 is a pullet. She's going to lay you some very pretty eggs!

Just an update on this. #1 sang the song of banishment this last Tuesday morning. We took him and #2 (since they look so similar) up to our friends ranch. They were a rowdy couple so we were not too sorry to see them go. We really like #3 so we are going to hang on to it until we know for sure. I started another thread on that one with current pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/927739/what-breed-and-gender-australorp

Thanks again to all who replied!

Back
Top Bottom