Easter Egger Rooster?

The other posters are correct. The Polish I see a wisp of in the front of the first pic is also a cockerel. Looks like a pretty flock. :love

For what it's worth, the bearding gene inhibits wattle size, making them smaller on bearded birds. Spurs do not develop quite this young.

But to throw a wrench in... even though it isn't super common, hens can grow spurs and even crow! :eek: I have a barred Rock hen that started crowing around 2+ years old. And have come across other BYCer's that have both spurs and crowing from their KNOWN hens, that HAVE laid eggs.

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Technically no. :old

Chickens don't earn their hen or rooster title until they reach a year old. Prior to that it is pullet or cockerel. ;)

It's not always important to use the correct terms. But it's great to be aware of them, as sometimes it is truly relevant when discussing behaviors and health conditions. So no rudeness meant, my intent is to share info and help BYC stay the best ever on line community. :cool:
Yes I very much so know the correct terms :) I just prefer saying rooster, because a lot of people I talk to get confused when I sat cockerel so I autimatically say rooster because whenenver I talk to someone they get confused on what a cockerel is :) but I also teach them what a cockerel is if I ever get the chance. I may have two cockerels right now... -_- I have 3 boys all together and one maybe boy. My second oldest is going to go to a nice home. :)

but I also teach them what a cockerel is if I ever get the chance. I may have two cockerels right now... -_- I have 3 boys all together and one maybe boy. My second oldest is going to go to a nice home.
That's awesome. :thumbsup We often use the word rooster at home.. it's kind of easy and even more fun to say I think. :D

All my boys have a nice home, and one bad moment before heading to freezer camp. :drool

A few do find more long term homes, sometimes even here. :cool: :love

Thanks for the help all.. Shame because he's quite the looker. Gonna have to start the hard journey of finding him a home.(Wife and I won't harvest them.. grown too attached)

Hate to say it, but in the bird world and specifically the chicken world? the flashier the bird, the most likely he is to be male. Flashy attracts mates.

Back
Top Bottom