Easter Egger Sex-Links?

Pics
Feb 18, 2021
Texas
So a family friend has an easter egger rooster that they want to give away (or eat). I want sex-links so that I can avoid getting attached to roos that we have to eat. I have barred rocks, cuckoo maran, a golden laced wyandotte, and another chicken that I think is a black sex link. Could I mix this easter egger roo with any of my hens and get sex-link easter eggers?
Thanks in advance!

So a family friend has an easter egger rooster that they want to give away (or eat). I want sex-links so that I can avoid getting attached to roos that we have to eat. I have barred rocks, cuckoo maran, a golden laced wyandotte, and another chicken that I think is a black sex link. Could I mix this easter egger roo with any of my hens and get sex-link easter eggers?
Thanks in advance!
You could mix him to the barred rock and cuckoo marans hens and create black sexlinks.

The males will be barred and have a head spot as chicks, the females will be solid.

Easter Eggers are a mixed breed. You need 2 pure breed chickens of special breeds to get sex-linked chicks.
Not true. If you have a rooster that does not have any barring genes, and cross him to a barred hen you can get sexlinks. Even if they are the most mixed up scrambled birds ever.

You could also create sexlinks from crossing a silver based hen to a gold based rooster. Males will be silver, and females will be gold.

You could also potentially create sexlinks based on feather growth. Slow feathering is dominant, so if you cross a fast feathering rooster to a slow feathering hen you will get fast feathering females and slow feathering males.

Some colors work better for sex links too. Good rule of thumb for black sex links is to use a dark feathered, non barred, rooster. The hen must have barring so any hen with barring will work (barred rock, legbar, cuckoo marans, delaware, CA Grey, etc.)

I did not know you could make a sex-link from a mixed breed chicken. I learned something new today. I am assuming that barring genes are dominant therefore the rooster will show barring if he has the gene.
Yep, You could potentially have a bird that hides barring if they have dominant white or something, though even then a lot of the times you will see ghost barring.

But if you stray towards solid/darker males you shouldn't have to worry much about hidden barring I don't think.

ETA: I just realized if you have a recessive white bird they can hide barring. So just stray away from white birds, as they can hide it.

Last edited:
Not true. If you have a rooster that does not have any barring genes, and cross him to a barred hen you can get sexlinks. Even if they are the most mixed up scrambled birds ever.

You could also create sexlinks from crossing a silver based hen to a gold based rooster. Males will be silver, and females will be gold.

You could also potentially create sexlinks based on feather growth. Slow feathering is dominant, so if you cross a fast feathering rooster to a slow feathering hen you will get fast feathering females and slow feathering males.
Interesting! So for example, if I crossed a gold Wyandotte rooster, and a silver Wyandotte hen, I'd get a sex-link?

Back
Top Bottom