Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I know right :) If you WANT to be technical, Splashes can't win shows, as they are not a recognized colour - but come from Blue breedings.. therefore the majority of Ameraucana breeders accept them as true. :)

2. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Wow, that's rare. Not often someone corrects EE to Ameraucana. All the time the other way around, but this is a new one.

3. SeattleLeah

SeattleLeah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmmm, that makes sense. This birds mother was a frizzle solid blue OE x barred OE roo. So the resulting female chick would get one copy of barring from the father. The resulting male chick should also only be able to get one copy of barring since mom was solid. So I dont know why this bird looks so light. S/he is blue barred, definitely not black so maybe that is what accounts for the lighter look overall. With only one parent being barred, the lighter coloring should not be effected by gender, correct?

4. aoxa

That makes sense. The father would only have one copy, therefore creating offspring looking a bit different in barring... I am not a genetics expert, but that is how one explained Tina to me.. The one I showed you with very faint barring (as her father was a wyandotte x barred rock cross) - and her mother a silkie...

I'm going to ask a friend about that. I'll get back to you.

5. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    I have a barred ee I crossed her with my rhode island red rooster would that make sex link babies and if so would they be color sexed

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. aoxa

Yes they would be. Chicks with white dot on their head will be males. All black would be females.

7. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    how about the reds some are black- barred and some are red

8. aoxa

Could they be from another hen?

9. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    no she is the only olive egg layer I have and I only set the olive eggs so I could get more hens to lay olive eggs

10. mark9199

mark9199 Out Of The Brooder

I've been assuming that I got all girls but now am wondering. Sorry for the lack of photos but if anyone can tell from these 2 pictures that she's not a he...? Thanks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by