Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hmmmm, that makes sense. This birds mother was a frizzle solid blue OE x barred OE roo. So the resulting female chick would get one copy of barring from the father. The resulting male chick should also only be able to get one copy of barring since mom was solid. So I dont know why this bird looks so light. S/he is blue barred, definitely not black so maybe that is what accounts for the lighter look overall. With only one parent being barred, the lighter coloring should not be effected by gender, correct?
You got that barred thing confused. One copy of barring is darker. Two copies is lighter, which only males get.. however, if her father only had one copy of the barring it could have done something like this maybe?

In Barred birds the females get the copy of the barring from their father.. the males get a copy from their mother AND their father, which makes them appear lighter.

Example here. Boy lighter, female darker.

Hmmmm, that makes sense. This birds mother was a frizzle solid blue OE x barred OE roo. So the resulting female chick would get one copy of barring from the father. The resulting male chick should also only be able to get one copy of barring since mom was solid. So I dont know why this bird looks so light. S/he is blue barred, definitely not black so maybe that is what accounts for the lighter look overall. With only one parent being barred, the lighter coloring should not be effected by gender, correct?
That makes sense. The father would only have one copy, therefore creating offspring looking a bit different in barring... I am not a genetics expert, but that is how one explained Tina to me.. The one I showed you with very faint barring (as her father was a wyandotte x barred rock cross) - and her mother a silkie...

I'm going to ask a friend about that. I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom