Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Well any hope I had that been nursing is officially gone. I'm a complete chicken amateur and even I can tell that Carl is definitely a guy. He's already trying to take advantage of the fact that he's the only Roo in the hen house. I'm growing quite fond of him though.

The dark red on his wings is an indicator that he is a roo as well as the inconsistent color pattern correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes! You're right, Carl is a rooster.

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    How old is she? There's not much comb showing, so if she's as old as I think she is (8+ weeks?) I think she's a girl.

1 person likes this.
  4. rachel82

rachel82 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Northern Colorado
    A beautiful rooster though!

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Carl is a rooster, and a rooster with the best name EVER for a rooster. ;) Love that name. My first little cockerel was named Carl. He didn't live to act like a rooster though.

6. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks guys! I really like him. I'm excited to see how his coloring and tail turn out now. We weren't trying for a rooster as we bought all sexed chicks, but nothing in life is 100%. Sorry you lost your Carl! I hope that mine get's a long and happy life.

7. mark9199

mark9199 Out Of The Brooder

You're about right on the age, probably about 9 weeks when these were taken. And, I like you're answer on she being a she LoL. Now that I've read through some of this thread, I'll have a look at the girls when I get home tonight and see what I can see.

Also, maybe not the best place to ask... I've picked up a few pointers on sexing from this thread, but it's a very lengthy thread. Is there a good article that describes the differences to look for when trying to sex your chicks?

Thanks Wishing4Wings for the reply!

8. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Do you mean an article in general or for EEs? Many breeds have their own clues and time tables, usually looking at a combination of comb development and feather color. Don't know if there is an article. It would be a good project for someone.

9. Quinstar

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    I found the above post very helpful as far as what to look for.

1 person likes this.
  10. mark9199

mark9199 Out Of The Brooder

Yes, that's some of what I'm looking for and that helps, thanks.

I thought there were general things to look for (like Quinstar posted). I didn't know there was such a difference between breeds. Always learning stuff here. Thanks for the help. I haven't really done 'the Google' looking for a good article, yet, but will. I would like specifics on EE's but also for other breeds that I have.

All help is always appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm sooo new at this chicken stuff, thanks for your patience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by