Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. destinidawn

destinidawn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    Port Orchard, WA
    My rooster easter egger George is getting more pretty every day. He even has some saddle feathers that are a shiny golden color peaking out. His black/white counter part is a female easter egger they are almost 12 weeks old :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Th
    Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate it very much. I have been thinking the lighter colored one is a boy, the behavior always stretching out its next looking at everything and the tail seems to have feathers turning down. It's really early to tell as many have mentioned so I am hoping I'm wrong. I will post more pics next week, thank you everyone.

3. MaineiacJay

MaineiacJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Newport, New Hampshire
    alright, so i picked up 5 new Easter Eggers. these are crosses between, really, any of the following: Blue Ameraucana, Silkie, Black Maran.

3 are black, 1 is reddish brown, 1 is light brown. now, because you all were so helpful, please tell me i got all pullets =D although admittedly, i fell in love with one of the silkie crosses, i call him Afro Chicken. it was really a toss-up whether it was male or female, but ill keep it even if its a rooster, but i need some help distinguishing. there is also one of the black ones that i got from a seperate group she had that were older than the others, it has a comb but its light pink and looks like a pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also, i got some more shots of that troublesome black and white chicken, maybe it will help in telling if its a pullet or a cockerel? im still leaning towards pullet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

love this forum, thanks for everything guys!!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

These two are both young cockerels. The rest you got today are girls. The silkie X one is a pretty!

My silkie x Naked Neck (with the blue egg gene) started laying. I am surprised. The eggs are a turquoise blue. No green in it at all. I thought it was my bantam Ameraucana laying, but I caught her in the nesting box today (with a rabbit might I add - who was kindling.. surprise surprise.. eggs and baby bunnies)

[​IMG]
    So Gertie can now be called an Easter Egger now that she lays coloured eggs! Funny, she has a walnut comb I think. Not a pea comb.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  5. MaineiacJay

MaineiacJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Newport, New Hampshire
    just another question... is there a way to tell what breed these guys are? i believe the hens she has are silkie, maran and ameraucana though im not sure of colors. and she said the possible roosters are: a blue ameraucana or black maran. any way to tell the breeds in them? its ok if not, but figured id ask. there could be a possibility of purebred in this case too?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  6. aoxa

All look to have Ameraucana in them except the silkie mix. My bet with that one is Silkie x Marans - as most Silkie x Ameraucana mixes would have beards.

7. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    13 weeks old on Tuesday...no crow..yet, but all signs pointing to cockeral. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    DelcoChix, yes I think you are right, cockerel.

9. annie82005

annie82005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Snow Shoe, Pa
    11 weeks old. Did not want to cooperate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. aoxa

That's not an EE, but appears to be a black sex link female. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by