Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. polarbearpilot

polarbearpilot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    My 8 1/2 week old EE chick with a bad leg and a very small comb.

This chick has a bad leg since it hatched. Tried to fix it, but wasn't successful. I was hoping that it would be a girl so it would not end up in a pot. Up to now, at 8 1/2 weeks the comb is still a thin line and light in color. But the feathers scream cockerel. So my daughter officially declares that this chick is a HenSter. LOL.

Just want to share some pictures of this chick and the same age brother who is clearly a cockerel with a big red comb. I am 99% sure the bad leg chick is a cockerel. But if anyone who think I have a shot at the 1%, let me know. Thanks.

Here is Wuzzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Archie with big red comb, same age.
    [​IMG]

2. TREX

TREX Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    @Polarbearpilot ,I'm not so sure that your bad leg chick is a roo.I posted some pics here a few weeks ago of my EE roos at 71/2 weeks and you can clearly tell they are boys from the comb.I don't see any resemblance between your babys comb and their combs.You may just have yourself a pullet[​IMG]

3. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Just when you think you have your EEs figured out, you end up with a pullet that has all three rows raised in the pea comb :/ Good thing I held on to her even though everyone thought Bernice was Bernie! She's gorgeous :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. polarbearpilot

polarbearpilot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    @Carolinahen - They are confusing, aren't they.

@TREX - thanks for sharing your pics. Your roos have big red combs like the one roo I have. I hope for Wuzzy's sake that he will be a she. It's my daughter's favorite because she took special care of him/her since it hatched due to the bad leg. I'll hang on to it as long as it does not crow. Will post update pictures once I know for certain one way or the other.

5. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    @polarbearpilot- I have a roo that has never crowed. Hopefully you will have a calm quiet sweetie like him and can keep him :)

6. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    [​IMG]Hi everyone! I am still working on pea comb vs. straight combs and was hoping you all could give me your input?
    [​IMG][/IMG] this is chick one
    Pea comb?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    This is chick number two, which I think is a straight comb? I wonder if its a boy because of comb growth? Chick one and two are the biggest of the seven.[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    This is chick three and is almost as big as the first two. Straight comb? [​IMG]

9. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    This is chick four, I really like the coloring. I'm undecided on the comb...I'm just not sure. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This chick is medium sized

10. chics

chics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Chick five medium sized...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No idea on the comb...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by