Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yep! :)

2. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Crossed beaked chicks usually get worse as they get older. You can try giving her vitamins. Ours only lived to be 6 months old because they are hard to feed. They have to scoop their food from a deep dish. They can't get food off the ground or out of your hand. They are the sweetest chicks because they learn to depend on you. Good luck.

3. aoxa

If you wet down feed, it's a lot easier for them, but I agree - a lot of maintenance and they do really depend on humans. Very sweet. I had one scissor beaked rooster named Edward Scissor Beak. He was very delayed in development, and could have used a lot more attention with feeding. If you have time for it, they can live relatively well, but left to their own, they will not thrive.

4. cassbickford

cassbickford Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. One more nine weeker. Cockerel or pullet? I have had completely mixed reviews.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. aoxa

Girl :)

She is stunning!!

Her orange in the wings is very delicate and feminine. She has no comb to speak of, and she has an even pattern with skinny legs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. cassbickford

cassbickford Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Thank you! Her name is Gloria and she is my favorite. [​IMG] I thought that she was probably a girl, but I had someone say 100% boy and others say 100% girl. She does not even really have a comb at all. Only a pink area where it should be that is raised like 1 mm. Is that normal?

7. Breella

Breella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Having some questionable genders popping up in my flock. Do irredescent feathers always mean a male? To my not so well trained eye these chickens display no other obvious signs of being roosters except that some of their large (rounded) tail feathers are getting a bright gleen to them. Their combs and waddles are still pale and small, their legs aren't exceptionally large and all their feathers seem to be rounded despite their pointy patterns.

This is StarBurst, who I am REALLY hoping is a pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. annewandering

annewandering Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Idaho
    Starburst looks very much like one of my EE pullets.
    [​IMG]

9. Breella

Breella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I hope so. She and one of the others have some of that green sheen to their tail feathers today. I love their patterns.

How about Mab? I think she's the only one of the Easter Eggers with no real pattern to her feathers but she has no comb growth, it is still pale and no waddles either.
    [​IMG]

10. memchick

memchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Memphis
    Hi! I'm new to byc and to chicken raising. About 3 mos ago (at end of march) I got 3 EE. I'm hoping they are not all Roos!! None are crowing but the 2 with white around head fight some. In hoping at least the one without white may be a hen. Any help would be appreciated! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by