Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Not sure. From what I've read on here I thought they could have either. What would you call him then? Father was an Ameraucana or EE probably and mother was either an EE or RIR. Its a possibility the father was a Buff and mother was an EE. He does show the ear muffs though. Has no spur developement at all though which is why I am wondering. I just assumed early on this one was a roo cause of coloration. Unfourtunately I sold the other 30 I had so I have none left from that hatch to compare to.

Here is a pic of an EE I hatched. Should be 9 weeks old now. I assumed this one is a cockrel based on feather color. Its comb is really nkt as big as I would have expected though. Any thoughts?

The comb is very red for 9 weeks, the red on the wings, and the overall shape looks like a cockerel.

Yellow legs don't make or break an EE. The idea is that they are mixes or nonstandard Ameraucana (or Araucana) which have slate legs. When you cross the slate with a yellow legged bird, green/willow legs result. Future generations may end up with yellow legs.

The comb is very red for 9 weeks, the red on the wings, and the overall shape looks like a cockerel. 

Yellow legs don't make or break an EE.  The idea is that they are mixes or nonstandard Ameraucana (or Araucana) which have slate legs.  When you cross the slate with a yellow legged bird, green/willow legs result.  Future generations may end up with yellow legs. 
His father has slate legs. I was going to assume that his mother was one of the RIR hens since my only ee hen has slate legs as well. But I guess thats not a good assumption then since they may be mixed and can have yellow legs anyway. I got 30 more hatching Wednesday so it will be interesting to see what I get. I thought he was a cockerel so I gave him away as well as a Buff roo I had a few hours ago.

I need the EE experts to weight in on these 5 week olds. They were eggs sold as EEs but clearly they are mixes. They came from tan/brown eggs and bluish green eggs. There are 4 total. the orange/white,2 chipmunk, one of which looks to have some blue in it and the other is lighter overall. The last is the white one. Thanks! Breeds mixed in and sexes would be great!

I need the EE experts to weight in on these 5 week olds. They were eggs sold as EEs but clearly they are mixes. They came from tan/brown eggs and bluish green eggs. There are 4 total. the orange/white,2 chipmunk, one of which looks to have some blue in it and the other is lighter overall. The last is the white one. Thanks! Breeds mixed in and sexes would be great! This is a cockerel.

Another cockerel. (pretty sure)
Pullet.

Pullet.

They can still fool you at 5 weeks, so watch the pullets for comb development in the next week or so. Obviously mixed breeds, but can't help beyond that. Those with pea combs are more likely to have the gene for blue eggs, especially if they hatched from a blue/green egg.

Thought I knew the answer to this, but appears I may be wrong now. So, hoping the experts can help me out. Is this chicken male or female? S/he is just over 22 weeks old now.

Thought I knew the answer to this, but appears I may be wrong now. So, hoping the experts can help me out. Is this chicken male or female? S/he is just over 22 weeks old now.
looks like a pretty hen to me. I would think a cockerel would be making an effort to crow by that age?

Hi all, I know this Rooster is not an EE but I was hoping some of you great chicken experts could help me out and hopefully tell me what kind of rooster this is. He is HUGE!

He is on the right. Not great pics but it shows his color better.

Last edited:
I have a hen that looks a lot like this. Not going to commit further than that, though. I have a poor track record on guessing gender.

Back
Top Bottom