Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

She is Gorgeous!!! I love her coloring

Thanks. :) I think she's pretty nice too.
looks like a pretty hen to me. I would think a cockerel would be making an effort to crow by that age?
There's been no crowing, so, yeah.
100% female!

I have a hen that looks a lot like this. Not going to commit further than that, though. I have a poor track record on guessing gender.

If the consensus is female, I'll go with female. Thing is, both my other hens are laying (I've witnessed, so I know it's them, and not her), and today when I opened up the eggs for breakfast, they looked fertile. But I'm no expert, so maybe I'm wrong about that. I'd rather have 3 hens anyway. Just wish she would start laying like the others are.

I have some Easter eggers that look alot like some of the Roos on here. If so, I am gonna be upset. I went to Cackle Hatchery and hand picked them and was assured that they were pullets. I don't want roosters... They are only about five weeks old so maybe to early to tell?

They can still fool you at 5 weeks, so watch the pullets for comb development in the next week or so. Obviously mixed breeds, but can't help beyond that. Those with pea combs are more likely to have the gene for blue eggs, especially if they hatched from a blue/green egg.
Thanks Wishing4Wings! I will let you see them again in a couple weeks! What in the blue/red one makes you say pullet? Just curious.

Happy Labor Day,
I know that this is the wrong thread for this question, but thought I would ask here, as I read this thread every day. We have a history of trouble integrating new birds. Seems my one year old RIR's have been bullies since day one. I have three adult hens from last year. I have nine pullets that I ordered this year. Including my two EE's. Now I have three rescued BLRW's. Both groups have attacked the rescues during free range time. This goes on to the point that I can't let them free range together anymore. At least until one heals up completely. This has been going on for more than a month. I am now thinking that a rooster may help me get everyone together.

Question:
Would a 10 week old roo be of assistance? There is a lavender Ameraucana roo near me. He could start with the rescues, and then they could all go together into the main coop in a month, or so. Any chance of this being a good move.

I've got two that look like this. They came from a RIR hen, EE roo. At first I was hoping the abundance of red feathers was just from mom, but now at 5 weeks, the combs are beginning to redden up so now I think I've got two boys. I'm not saying that your chick is a boy because of the red shoulders, but I don't have one Red/EE out of the two chicks to get green eggs.
Happy Labor Day,
I know that this is the wrong thread for this question, but thought I would ask here, as I read this thread every day. We have a history of trouble integrating new birds. Seems my one year old RIR's have been bullies since day one. I have three adult hens from last year. I have nine pullets that I ordered this year. Including my two EE's. Now I have three rescued BLRW's. Both groups have attacked the rescues during free range time. This goes on to the point that I can't let them free range together anymore. At least until one heals up completely. This has been going on for more than a month. I am now thinking that a rooster may help me get everyone together.

Question:
Would a 10 week old roo be of assistance? There is a lavender Ameraucana roo near me. He could start with the rescues, and then they could all go together into the main coop in a month, or so. Any chance of this being a good move.
Don't have a good answer for you about the rooster but wanted to give you a suggestion on the integration part. I put the new chicks/chickens next to the older hens and they get to see each other without being able to touch each other. If you can somehow set something up like that, maybe it'll go smoother for you. If it's just one chicken that is a bully, try isolating her away from the rest for a week or two, then when she comes back, she is the "newbie".
Good Luck,
CG

Here are the two that are close. Still thinking the same thing with these additional pics? Thanks
The red chick has a larger comb that is already turning bright red. The blue one has a smaller, pale comb. (But things can still change at 5 weeks, so I'd wait a bit to be sure.)

Don't see the dark red patches on the blue's wings. Color is more brown and evenly spread, so that, with the comb color, makes me think pullet. The red bird has the dark red patches, especially visible from the side, so looking cockerel (although someone posted a pullet once with very similar patchy red coloring).

In profile, it looks like the red's comb is raised and is wider. Can't see any of the blue's comb in profile.
If my predictions are correct (I've been wrong before
big_smile.png
) then the red's comb will continue to grow this week while blue's will not change. Hope you can give us an update to see if I got it right!

Happy Labor Day,

Question:

A 10 week old cockerel is not sexually mature and would probably also get picked on by your bullies. You'd probably have to wait until he's 6 months or more before he can stand up to an older hen. Even then, roosters will vary. Some will prevent bullying, and others don't get involved in the girl's pecking order.

CGinJCMO gave some good advice. Sometimes it is a particular hen that is the instigator and if she is removed, a new pecking order will be established. Hopefully she will wind up nearer the bottom when she gets reintroduced. I tried this twice with my very aggressive she-male Leghorn (she is mean and mounts other hens
hmm.png
). Helped for about a week, then her old ways returned. I only kept her apart for a week, though, so think it might work better if she is separated longer.

Back
Top Bottom