Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

The color on the inside of the shell is very consistent, it's the coatings that vary some. And yes, I've had eggs miss the coating almost entirely like that but I have to ask if it's possible you have another new layer?

The color on the inside of the shell is very consistent, it's the coatings that vary some. And yes, I've had eggs miss the coating almost entirely like that but I have to ask if it's possible you have another new layer?

Nope! I have only one Easter Egger. My other chickens are an Australorp, a Barred Rock, and four Red Sex Links.
smile.png

She should get more consistent in time. It will be fun to see which shade she lays most often. BTW, the brown coating making it appear more green should be heaviest after a break from laying and lightest near the end of each laying cycle so some variation is to be expected. But, that great a difference is likely because she's a new layer.

She should get more consistent in time. It will be fun to see which shade she lays most often. BTW, the brown coating making it appear more green should be heaviest after a break from laying and lightest near the end of each laying cycle so some variation is to be expected. But, that great a difference is likely because she's a new layer.

That's what I figured :) So do you think it will vary between those two colors then? It'll be interesting to see the eggs she lays. She didn't lay today sadly!

How can I get my ee to lay in their house. I was wondering when my Beatrice would start laying then one day found a nest full of blue green eggs. But since I found that spot she hasn't layed there again. I thought if I ke her in the house she would lay but nothing yet.

Lock them in the coop until they lay their eggs and then let them out. I'd keep that up for a 2 weeks and then see if they will continue laying in the coop even if you let them out early in the mornings. I've found out EEs can be pretty persistent about hiding eggs in secret nests.

This one is a little more complicated to sex. With the burnt orange color coming in so dark and that red comb I am leaning toward cockerel. The hackle feathers also seem to be starting to look a little pointy. But I can't say for sure.
hmm.png
Look at this previous post from a few months ago by hitting the green arrow in gray box next to poster's name. This one was indeed a boy. He took longer to show the physical traits and didn't crow until close to 4 months, but sure enough, he's already fathered my new batch of chicks!

Last edited:
Here are sexing pics of my new batch, 7-8 weeks old. I'm not really leaving my wishful thinking any wiggle room.
Does anyone disagree with my assumptions, as early as they are?

Cockerel feathering (lots of orange/red)

Cockerel comb (3 separates lines)

Pullet coloring (uniform, not very blotchy)

Pullet comb

Can anyone please tell me why my EE hens tail is going sideways? I found it like this two days ago. But I am concerned because it is still that way.

And the Turkey are not upset with the hen. They have been fighting all day. Hormones raging!

Back
Top Bottom