Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

A very pretty pullet! At that age, the comb would be much larger and redder if it was a cockerel.
I'm so happy to hear you say that! I also have a black/white that I think is a pullet although I read that many times they are male? Will add pictures soon. Thanks for the help!

You've met Peal and Gladys...now it's Daphne's turn to be in the spotlight. I'm absolutely thinking pullet with this one, but we know how accurate I've been so far! <sigh>

She's 11 weeks old tomorrow, by the way. Guesses?
I'm voting for pullet because of the coloring and even pattern.

the first one cant be an EE because it lack the dark legs and pea comb, even if it was an EE it would not lay green or blue eggs because of the comb. The other one looks a lot more like an EE. What does her comb look like? if it's normal like the other one it won't lay green/blue eggs either.  

That is not necessarily true... The pea comb gives you a pretty good chance for a green or blue egg. But doesn't guarantee a blue or green egg. For example a have an all black EE. Has full beard, slate legs and a pea comb. But she lays a cream colored egg. I've also had an all white EE. She was half white leghorn half EE. She had a straight comb, yellow legs, and a beard. And she laid blue eggs...

That is not necessarily true... The pea comb gives you a pretty good chance for a green or blue egg. But doesn't guarantee a blue or green egg. For example a have an all black EE. Has full beard, slate legs and a pea comb. But she lays a cream colored egg. I've also had an all white EE. She was half white leghorn half EE. She had a straight comb, yellow legs, and a beard. And she laid blue eggs...

In the case of the half leghorn bird genetics can explain why it will lay blue eggs even without a peacomb. The blue egg genes are more dominant than the white egg genes. In fact having white egg genes can make an egg bluer.

I bought 7 Pullets that were advertised as Aracaunas, I knew they weren't them but Easter Eggers, I was only wanting colored eggs. As the Chicks got older I notice the two wold always scrap with each other. They will be 6 wks this coming weekend, I started thinking maybe they were Roosters so I started looking up sexing EE's. The more I read about it the mre confused I get lol Hoping you experts can determine if they are Roos or not. I can tell on the Red one its comb has 3 rows of peas where the black & white one only has one .

I bought 7 Pullets that were advertised as Aracaunas, I knew they weren't them but Easter Eggers, I was only wanting colored eggs. As the Chicks got older I notice the two wold always scrap with each other. They will be 6 wks this coming weekend, I started thinking maybe they were Roosters so I started looking up sexing EE's. The more I read about it the mre confused I get lol Hoping you experts can determine if they are Roos or not. I can tell on the Red one its comb has 3 rows of peas where the black & white one only has one .
Two very handsome cockerels.

I bought 7 Pullets that were advertised as Aracaunas, I knew they weren't them but Easter Eggers, I was only wanting colored eggs. As the Chicks got older I notice the two wold always scrap with each other. They will be 6 wks this coming weekend, I started thinking maybe they were Roosters so I started looking up sexing EE's. The more I read about it the mre confused I get lol Hoping you experts can determine if they are Roos or not. I can tell on the Red one its comb has 3 rows of peas where the black & white one only has one.

Yes, both are cockerels. It can be confusing. The black and white one has very patchy coloring (large areas of white and black) so even though the comb has not widened yet, it is red, and that along with the coloring makes it a sure bet. The red one has a large red comb for six weeks. A pullet would never have a comb like that at such a young age.

It's probably too young but ill ask anyway :) sexed as pullet

Back
Top Bottom