Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi all! I'm new to this whole chicken thing, but I'm loving it! I am in the city and have three 6 weeks old chickens. One is an Easter egger...and I'm afraid she might be a he! :-/ I wouldn't be able to get a refund from the hatchery for another few weeks, and most sites I read say you really can't tell until they crow, but I am dying to know. Anyone willing to weigh in with an opinion? Let me know if a better pic would be helpful...I interrupted their group dust bath to get this one
smile.png

Wow, the "calico" one (black, brown and white) is definitely a cockerel!!

Hi all! I'm new to this whole chicken thing, but I'm loving it! I am in the city and have three 6 weeks old chickens. One is an Easter egger...and I'm afraid she might be a he! :-/ I wouldn't be able to get a refund from the hatchery for another few weeks, and most sites I read say you really can't tell until they crow, but I am dying to know. Anyone willing to weigh in with an opinion? Let me know if a better pic would be helpful...I interrupted their group dust bath to get this one
smile.png

That beautiful bird in the back is definitely a boy, sorry
sad.png
. It took mine 10 weeks to get a comb even close to that red and not even that big.

members on this thread proclaimed my OE "bubba" a roo months ago. But on a separate thread I made to document his/her progress people are still saying pullet! 19 weeks, no crowing, mounting or aggressive behavior of any kind. Here is the other thread in case you want to see older photos ;) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/755091/need-help-sexing-9-week-blrw-and-7-week-old-olive-egger

I remember this one! Certainly a chicken of distinction.
big_smile.png
Don't remember if I had guessed when you originally posted, but at 19 weeks it must be a pullet. I think. Maybe. My first impression is that it is a cockerel due to its shape and coloring. The male BRs have wider white bars making them lighter overall, which is how this chicken looks around the neck and head. There's that lone curving tail feather too. Any spur buds developing? I can't see any boy hackle or saddle feathers, but I have no experience with frizzles, so not sure I could identify them anyway. The comb is in the pullet range for size, and so if it's a pullet, must be getting closer to the point of lay. I would expect a cockerel to have a much larger comb by now. So, I can say, with a great deal of certainty, I'm not sure.
tongue.png
A boyish looking pullet or a slooooow developing cockerel? Hoping for your sake Bubba is a Bubbalina. Thinking pullet, but I don't want to jinx you!
fl.gif
Please update when you know for sure.

Last edited:
smile.png

I call it a roo . It is just so pink plus the dark red patches on the wings. That is a roo color pattern.

I remember this one! Certainly a chicken of distinction.
big_smile.png
Don't remember if I had guessed when you originally posted, but at 19 weeks it must be a pullet. I think. Maybe. My first impression is that it is a cockerel due to its shape and coloring. The male BRs have wider white bars making them lighter overall, which is how this chicken looks around the neck and head. There's that lone curving tail feather too. Any spur buds developing? I can't see any boy hackle or saddle feathers, but I have no experience with frizzles, so not sure I could identify them anyway. The comb is in the pullet range for size, and so if it's a pullet, must be getting closer to the point of lay. I would expect a cockerel to have a much larger comb by now. So, I can say, with a great deal of certainty, I'm not sure.
tongue.png
A boyish looking pullet or a slooooow developing cockerel? Hoping for your sake Bubba is a Bubbalina. Thinking pullet, but I don't want to jinx you!
fl.gif
Please update when you know for sure.
I'm with you on this. Pullet.

The reason most probably thought boy was because of the light barring maybe? I haven't seen any girls with such light barring. That comb is just so small and the legs are thin.. It's really hard to sex by feathers with frizzles.

You shouldn't have to wait long to know fore sure though. If it is a girl, it should lay very soon.

Back
Top Bottom