Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

If you don't know the age for sure, then we're going to have a hard time with this bird. So you think about 11-12 weeks old? I say could go either way right now. Having a better idea of age would help as we could know whether or not the hackle and saddles should be in. Pattern could be a pullet or could be a cockerel. Comb is pretty big and red, so makes me think cockerel.
I'm with you..

If it was 3 weeks old on the 11th of May it would be 12, almost 13 weeks old.

I would lean more towards cockerel, but the red in the wings do not look really patchy enough to make me fully confident that it is a boy.. Also, the comb is smaller than I remember it being at 13 weeks. I still lean more towards boy.

So I've looked through the posts, been following it for awhile. I "think" my EE is a pullet ... buuut I'm not completely sure because of the dark red markings. I figured I'd get an option. I got a couple new (though unfortunately not fantastic) pics of her today. Around the beak has never been bright red. I got her around I'm guessing 2-3 weeks old on 5/11.

Since you don't know the exact age its harder to tell. Is there any swelling in the comb area or widening? Did you look on the back for emerging saddle feathers? The pic I enclosed below is the comb of a 7 1/2 week old ee roo. You can clearly see the widening and swelling of the comb and it has tons of color already. If your chicken is at 12 to 13 weeks and is a roo I would expect a larger more noticeable comb and a brighter red, it might even be starting to practice crowing every once in awhile too. The red looks like it may be trying to become an all over pattern so you may have that going for you too. But really the only way to know for sure is to see if it lays an egg or crows, lol! Beautiful bird though. Good luck!!

200x200px-ZC-9f39b8fa_DSC01904.jpeg

Separate the feathers on the lower back and see if you find iridescent pointy feathers growing in. Those are early saddle feathers.
Yes, this is the picture I saw before. Thanks for posting it again.

So I'm starting to think that my Ameraucana is an Easter Egger. The breeder of these chicks has Ameraucana's I saw them with my own eyes. His Roo was a Blue Wheaten, and the mom was either a Wheaten or a White, and this is what we have here. Does have green legs. But I'm thinking that its a Roo. That's what I'm more after is if its a Roo.

7-8 weeks old

So I'm starting to think that my Ameraucana is an Easter Egger. The breeder of these chicks has Ameraucana's I saw them with my own eyes. His Roo was a Blue Wheaten, and the mom was either a Wheaten or a White, and this is what we have here. Does have green legs. But I'm thinking that its a Roo. That's what I'm more after is if its a Roo.

7-8 weeks old
Looks like a cockerel. As for breed, if he has green legs he would be considered an EE (look for yellow footpads to confirm). I have a hen that is a cross between a pure Wheaten Ameraucana and a pure Buff Ameraucana. She has blue legs and looks like a buff with a bit of partridge marking at the tips of a few feathers. The breeder was very careful to identify her as an EE even though both parents were pure.
smile.png

Here's the buff EE with her pure wheaten Am half sister.

I have three new hatchery EEs. :) 2 weeks old, ordered all pullets. Lets hope for the best. So far I've bought local EEs and got 9 out of 9 roos... :(

They are all the same size with nice amount of tail feathers and tiny little petite legs.

Golden Girls Themed babies:

Sophia at 2 weeks

20130716_130911_zps1053e240.jpg

Dorothy at 2 weeks

20130716_1311070_zps60c6e084.jpg

Blanche at 2 weeks

20130716_131028_zps4da658bb.jpg

I have three new hatchery EEs.
smile.png
2 weeks old, ordered all pullets. Lets hope for the best. So far I've bought local EEs and got 9 out of 9 roos...
sad.png

They are all the same size with nice amount of tail feathers and tiny little petite legs.

Golden Girls Themed babies:

Sophia at 2 weeks

20130716_130911_zps1053e240.jpg

Dorothy at 2 weeks

20130716_1311070_zps60c6e084.jpg

Blanche at 2 weeks

20130716_131028_zps4da658bb.jpg
They are still a bit young to be able to tell. Wait a few weeks and take new pics of them. Whole body shots are nice but make sure to get the the comb area too.

7-8 weeks old

is that tail classic indication of a roo at that age? mine is 6 weeks old and tail is still curling down but we all believe it's a roo.

Back
Top Bottom