Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Sunflower, he's pretty! And, a fine example of a late-bloomer! I remember one blue cockerel in particular that kept people guessing until nearly 20 weeks. Yours, however, has masculine patterning.

This is not usual at all. What an over acheiver! 

I've seen them START on the hackles/saddles by 10 weeks, but never to that extent.

Yeah, he was a bit of an over-achiever. I don't know if it makes any difference, but he was a bantam, so maybe that's why he matured early? He started crowing at about 3 weeks old, then saddle feathers at 7 weeks, and by 10 weeks he was trying to mount the pullets of the same age. He seemed super manly right up until my Silkie pullet, Margaret, beat the tar out of him! :lol: Apparently she does not like younger men getting fresh with her.

At any rate, all of my EE boys have been obvious from early on, though usually by coloration like your pictures show. My others usually didn't have saddle feathers until 10-12 weeks and the earliest crow was 7-8 weeks, I think. I just wanted to show that it isn't absolute that they won't get saddle feathers before 12 weeks of age. :)

Yeah, he was a bit of an over-achiever. I don't know if it makes any difference, but he was a bantam, so maybe that's why he matured early? He started crowing at about 3 weeks old, then saddle feathers at 7 weeks, and by 10 weeks he was trying to mount the pullets of the same age. He seemed super manly right up until my Silkie pullet, Margaret, beat the tar out of him!
lol.png
Apparently she does not like younger men getting fresh with her.

At any rate, all of my EE boys have been obvious from early on, though usually by coloration like your pictures show. My others usually didn't have saddle feathers until 10-12 weeks and the earliest crow was 7-8 weeks, I think. I just wanted to show that it isn't absolute that they won't get saddle feathers before 12 weeks of age.
smile.png
I had one crow at 4 days old I think it was... I was so shocked. It was hilarious!

He started wing dancing at 6 weeks and mating at 8. It was the most odd thing... He had saddles/hackles at 10-12 weeks though.

My poor Silkie-X roo, Fugly, got the snot beat out of him by my head hen, Queenie. She apparently did not like a younger, smaller male getting fresh with her at all. Now he's only fresh with my EE hen Bling...but she's still a bit young to pay attention to his dances.

I got my first egg from one of my 5 EE pullets last week. A perfect small green egg. So excited. However, since then I got no more eggs from anyone. Is this normal? BTW, they are all 6 months now.

Last edited:
I got my first egg from one of my 5 EE pullets last week. A perfect small green egg. So excited. However, since then I got no more eggs from anyone. Is this normal? BTW, they are all 6 months now.

Do you have lights on in the evening extending the "day light" for them? If not then you need to add one to keep light on them till at least 9 pm at night.

Back
Top Bottom