Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Well, gee, hasn't really changed all that much except for the brown coming in. I'm not confident about this one either way. S/he's about 5½ weeks in the latest pics? The comb is pretty large, but is still pullet colored. Coloring is... uhm... confusing. Think we're going to have to wait another week or so. Hope you can post again because I'm really curious about this one. Until then, we can call it Pat.
big_smile.png
(Just for the record, I'm leaning toward cockerel, but really
idunno.gif
)

What does everyone else think? Patrick or Patricia?
I am guessing Patrick, too, based on the 3 row pink comb, the white patches on the wings, the brown patch on the tail, and the tail looking straight and pointy which reminds me of the first cockerel posted on page 1 of this thread.

Last edited:
I purchased my two EE's from My Pet Chicken last year, and they are both the partridge pattern. I love some of the grey, to white colored ones that we see here. I don't see any way to mail order and ask for specific looking chicks. My local feed store (Big R) sells what they call Aracauna. The staff calls them Easter Egger. They have a huge variety of colors in the chicks, and even at a day or two of age you can already see the beards. Mine looked like little chip munks when I got them last year. What color chicks would I look for to get the white or grey adults?

Thanks

Light yellow chicks usually turn to white (golden yellow turns buff) and I think gray feathers start as gray fluff. There is another thread that was started to document the color of the chicks and how they turned out as adults. If I can find it, I'll post.

Quote: I had one white EE hen and one rooster (EE and maybe laced wynadotte mix) that was mostly black. They produced chicks that were mostly brown-ish color but grew into tan & black, black&white, red/brown, and one grey.
Mom Dad

Chicks

Pullet the 3 cockerels I kept- they are now this generation's fathers

I purchased my two EE's from My Pet Chicken last year, and they are both the partridge pattern. I love some of the grey, to white colored ones that we see here. I don't see any way to mail order and ask for specific looking chicks. My local feed store (Big R) sells what they call Aracauna. The staff calls them Easter Egger. They have a huge variety of colors in the chicks, and even at a day or two of age you can already see the beards. Mine looked like little chip munks when I got them last year. What color chicks would I look for to get the white or grey adults?

Thanks
I'm hoping for some blue/gray adults from the light black chicks (don't have a photo yet - they were too hyper and couldn't get them to stay in one place for a photo) and that this one will be white.

Here's a few more gratitous chick photos for you to enjoy.

this one was getting a new shoe/boot at the time. it had curled toes and twisted ankle and either born with, or the bad foot caused, splay leg. It did not make it; it died this morning after a week of trying to do what I could to give it a chance to live. At least it's not suffering now.

The one in the background with the side view of it, is one of the ones I hope to turn out blue/gray. A true gray is harder to predict with the down color.

Thanks
I got 4 EE's from our local farm store 2 years ago. They were all different colors, and they grew up to be all different colors. One is black with a little white along the feather shafts, one is the typical browns, one has black feathers around her neck and brown elsewhere, and the forth was (she died last summer from laying issues) white with some peachy highlights. I picked through the chicks to find ones that were all different at the time. My first EE came from MPC and she is pure white with an upright tail. Very colorful yard art.

Thanks
The white and black one I had (unfortunately lost her to a raccoon) was the typical chipmunk chick. Slightly yellower than the others, but not a huge difference. I don't know if you can tell based on chick color.

In hindsight, I can see some of the adult colors in the down. But that's a far cry from looking at a chick and knowing how it will look as an adult. There are just too many surprises hidden in those chipmunk stripes ;). And, oh, the patterning! It is amazing to me how beautiful these randomly bred ladies can be.

So quick question, I have 5 - 8.5 wk old EE chicks. I know one is a rooster, black and white (white on shoulders, blackish head), 3 row of peas and red comb. One is a hen, probably 2 of them are hens, one black and white one and one brown partridge feathering with a orange head but brown muff. The other 2 I thought were hens, but now at 8 weeks I noticed that their comb is slightly reddish, they too are the partridge color with orange heads. Now does that matter? Its no where near the size of the comb on the cockerel. but its got me confused, and kind of worried that they might be roosters. there is no red/orange on the wings/shoulders yet, but when would I begin to see that happen, at what age? Right away while feathering in?

Just looking for some tips, I might have missed the answers to these questions while sorting thru the 500 some pages, so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

So quick question, I have 5 - 8.5 wk old EE chicks.  I know one is a rooster, black and white (white on shoulders, blackish head), 3 row of peas and red comb.  One is a hen, probably 2 of them are hens, one black and white one and one brown partridge feathering with a orange head but brown muff.  The other 2 I thought were hens, but now at 8 weeks I noticed that their comb is slightly reddish, they too are the partridge color with orange heads.  Now does that matter?  Its no where near the size of the comb on the cockerel.  but its got me confused, and kind of worried that they might be roosters.  there is no red/orange on the wings/shoulders yet, but when would I begin to see that happen, at what age?  Right away while feathering in?

Just looking for some tips, I might have missed the answers to these questions while sorting thru the 500 some pages, so if this is a repeat, I apologize. 
Uploading pics would help. :)

Back
Top Bottom