Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I know the male coloring is there but I do not see any feathers that are pointed like a male. ????? Time will tell.

any thoughts for me on my easter egger?

i posted more images yesterday, too.

x elisa

I copied the above diagram some from one else in another forum.

@crazyhen - The pointy feathers that you're asking about take more time to grow out and grow long. However, the blue cockerel in the picture already has the curvy sickle feathers at the tail end, just not long enough to drape down yet.

So my youngest EE are looking quite a bit diffrent in size and comb color. I purchased both at the same time 2 days old June 3rd my lighter colored one I'm most certain is a hen but my darker ( bubbles) who is a doll and sweet as could be ! I'm having my doubts. Here are some pics. I do know they are EE even though bin was labeled Ameraucana :) I love them anyways. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!
the second pic is fluffy. And yes the bin said pullet but bubbles is about 2-3 inches bigger. I'm hoping bubbles is just a big hen but am curious about what everyone else thinks? Sorry best pics I could get. As they are always in the go.

Last edited:
So my youngest EE are looking quite a bit diffrent in size and comb color. I purchased both at the same time 2 days old June 3rd my lighter colored one I'm most certain is a hen but my darker ( bubbles) who is a doll and sweet as could be ! I'm having my doubts. Here are some pics. I do know they are EE even though bin was labeled Ameraucana
smile.png
I love them anyways. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!the second pic is fluffy. And yes the bin said pullet but bubbles is about 2-3 inches bigger. I'm hoping bubbles is just a big hen but am curious about what everyone else thinks? Sorry best pics I could get. As they are always in the go.
I think they're likely both pullets. If I were a betting lady, I'd say that darker one has a lot of brown leghorn blood. She'll be a good layer.

Here is a boy I have who is a little older but a similar breed mix- Brown Leghorn / EE mix, he's got a mostly black chest where yours is looking all girl. His comb of course is also big and red. His red patches are also visible in his wing area.

OK, everyone! I'm not so sure my EE is a EE. She's starting to look very different.
Right now I'm worried about her sex too. Do you think she's a EE? Do you think she's a she or a he?

She has some feathers on her legs too.

OK, everyone! I'm not so sure my EE is a EE. She's starting to look very different. Right now I'm worried about her sex too. Do you think she's a EE? Do you think she's a she or a he? She has some feathers on her legs too.
How old is this one? I don't see anything to worry about yet for gender. I'm seeing muffs, so it's absolutely possible EE mix, but the other breeds... Could be a few in there... it looks like a single comb? with the colors coming in maybe some light Brahma in there, I believe they have leg feathering as well.

I think they're likely both pullets. If I were a betting lady, I'd say that darker one has a lot of brown leghorn blood. She'll be a good layer. Here is a boy I have who is a little older but a similar breed mix- Brown Leghorn / EE mix, he's got a mostly black chest where yours is looking all girl. His comb of course is also big and red. His red patches are also visible in his wing area.
few, she's a big girl!! So timid and sweet! Here is my little mix EE cockerel
they both have similar combs. I know he is mixed with many different breeds. So curious to figure out which ones. Yours is much darker and beautiful! Sassy ours is a good boy! I hear horrific stories but no problem yet. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated ! I added a few pics. His sister the first pic I got tge same day. They both have been driving me crazy trying to figure out what they are. Any thoughts on them? I have been told EE , welsummer, Sussex, old E ect.. Going of point but you seem very nolagable :) thank you again Ps. 25 weeks and no eggs yet.

Last edited:

few, she's a big girl!! So timid and sweet! Here is my little mix EE cockerel
they both have similar combs. I know he is mixed with many different breeds. So curious to figure out which ones. Yours is much darker and beautiful! Sassy ours is a good boy! I hear horrific stories but no problem yet. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated ! I added a few pics. His sister the first pic I got tge same day. They both have been driving me crazy trying to figure out what they are. Any thoughts on them? I have been told EE , welsummer, Sussex, old E ect.. Going of point but you seem very nolagable :) thank you again
Ps. 25 weeks and no eggs yet.

Both really pretty birds!
I'm still learning, but I could take a guess on those two.
For her, a Welsummer or mix of, seems likely, the coloring and body shape is very similar, they will usually lay a beautiful dark brown egg,.... when she does lay, which could be a few more weeks, it may tell you. I think there is a Welsummer thread on here too, those folks might have some tips.

On the rooster, I'm seeing maybe some gold duckwing patterns, and he does seem to have a mixed comb type. Other than that.... :confused:
He's certainly pretty, I'm fond of a pale headed rooster. I've got a salmon faverolle rooster who has a similar look, I call him Calico Jack.

Back
Top Bottom