Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I would be interested to know if you are correct with your 3 roosters, but not 2 theory. I have 3 cockerels right now. They all get along just fine, but I know they have not matured. I have 11 chickens in all. Seems like everyday a hen turns into a rooster!! I'm going to have to rehome a few guys here soon.
This is not my theory at all. I read this, probably on this website. I have had 2 and 3 roosters at a time, and they have managed to live together - not harmoniously, but without constant battles, once they learned their places! The GCM roosters were the most cooperative and congenial that I have kept.

I thought that was just a peacock thing? If you have two males, they will fight each other, but if you have three, two of them distract the third and vice versa, they all distract each other. So you should never have 2 male peacocks, 1 or 3+.
So I guess same goes for roosters? I keep my roosters in pairs, never had s problem.

Kind of the opposite of kids. If you have two, sometimes they fight and sometimes they play together but if you have 3, two gang up on the third
wink.png

I'm still glad that you brought it up. I was wondering about how the roosters would work things out if I kept them. But I'm sure 2 will still have to go unless I get more hens. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Quote:
Not EE's, but last fall I had 2 heritage barred rock cockerels (about 7 months old) and a heritage speckled sussex cockerel in the same run. They tried to kill each other. There was blood everywhere. The ss tried to break up the fight and they both turned on him. They were scheduled for butchering anyway, so I moved up the schedule but it was really ugly. Bloody combs and wattles-- ugh. I suspect it depends on the birds in question.

@irishluck84 , I agree that it depends on the rooster. Usually If they are raised together, chances are they will get along just fine. My EE rooster get along just fine as long as they have always been together.

@sophiaw00 , I love that hens coloring! Gorgeous!

ok i'm posting new pics of my girls/boys :/ they are now 11 weeks old hoping maybe we can tell by now :)
there are two one is white and black and one is gold and cream

it has small feet and a small comb compared to its hatch mate that is definitely a roo with its giant red comb and feet

this one is totally colored like a roo yet has a tiny comb and itty bitty feet compared to its hatch mate roo that is definitely a roo. its tail is looking rooish but still confusing me!!! these dang birds!!!

ok i'm posting new pics of my girls/boys :/ they are now 11 weeks old hoping maybe we can tell by now :)

it has small feet and a small comb compared to its hatch mate that is definitely a roo with its giant red comb and feet

this one is totally colored like a roo yet has a tiny comb and itty bitty feet compared to its hatch mate roo that is definitely a roo. its tail is looking rooish but still confusing me!!! these dang birds!!!

I'm going pullet with the first one.

Wow. That second one is a REAL challenge. Do you happen to know what the cross was? Maybe some RIR and a barred breed in there? Lots of the "On no its a boy" shade of red in there but it is spread and the barred sections are the "patches". It looks like the red is overtaking the black and white barred feathering compared to your prior picture
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...d-tricks-pictures-included/9710#post_15700526

And what's up with those curvy pointy tail feathers? But the saddle area feathers look quite rounded. I think I still have to lean pullet on this one.

Post more pictures when she lays an egg or he crows, whichever comes first
wink.png

Last edited:

Your reddish one kind of looks like a dark Salmon Faverolle. That red is not dark enough to be 'rooster' red, and it's more her over all color, than patchy like a rooster would be. And her chest is cream/white, another indicator of pullet.

@irishluck84 , I agree that it depends on the rooster. Usually If they are raised together, chances are they will get along just fine. My EE rooster get along just fine as long as they have always been together.

@sophiaw00 , I love that hens coloring! Gorgeous!
Thank you! I love her too! I'm gonna eventually hatch some eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom