Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have looked through *almost* all of the pictures here, and I am still a little unsure on mine....I think have all hens...but maybe one is a roo??? Here are the pictures:
This is Fluff head- guessing girl? ( 9 weeks old)

This is Racing Stripe...also 9 weeks old... girl or boy??

This is Penny. Penny is 11 weeks old, and "she" is the one I wonder about...???

This is Speckle. I am quite confident that she is a she!

Penny again....

Fluff Head

Speckle on the lounge chair....

one more with Penny- you can see her head better.

Fluffhead, Speckle and Racing stripe are all 9 weeks old and Penny is 11 weeks old.....

Gorgeous EEs! Particularly like Racing Stripe's colors - beautiful.

I think you are correct, all pullets, but Penny could go either way. Penny's comb is quite pink and prominent. Looks like my roo's comb at that age. But I don't see red on the wings. Sooo.... wait a bit more to be sure. You could try looking under feathers to see if any red is growing on the wings or see if there's any sign of saddles coming in.

Here's my EE cockerel at 8 weeks. Already has dark red wing patches. Comb is raspberry colored.

My pullet at 8 weeks. Pale comb.

She looked just about the same at 14 weeks, but bigger muffs/beard.

But by 14 weeks the cockerel really changed! He's "helping " with yard work.

Hope you keep us posted about Penny.
frow.gif

Update on the following:
Panic Pants is a confirmed cockeral-- not only did I find pointy, shiny saddle feathers coming in earlier this week, but today he crowed!
ep.gif
I'm actually not too surprised.
I will try to take some photos of where and what to look for re: saddle feathers, as his are a prime example. Maybe it can help someone else!

I sure would appreciate your opinions.
Age in photos: Exactly 7 weeks
Purchased as sexed pullet from an individual, that got them from Cackle.

Here she was as a wee baby. Her baby down has always had a reddish hue.

Currently, at 7 weeks.
Panic Pants, the chick in question, is the one on the left. The other one is Willow and I am confident she is a beautiful pullet. I had accidentally startled them just before this photo.

Panic

You can see her feathers a bit better here. I keep checking her new pinfeathers on her neck and back to see if they are rounded (yes) or shiny/iridescent (no).

Her chest is overall warm amber/tan, and the new pinfeathers coming in are the same color (no black or reddish feathers).

Am I doomed?

Update on the following:
Panic Pants is a confirmed cockeral-- not only did I find pointy, shiny saddle feathers coming in earlier this week, but today he crowed!
ep.gif
I'm actually not too surprised.
I will try to take some photos of where and what to look for re: saddle feathers, as his are a prime example. Maybe it can help someone else!

Rotten luck about Panic Pants.
hmm.png
Didn't you recently rehome another roo? I had to. Wish they were easier to keep.

I have looked through *almost* all of the pictures here, and I am still a little unsure on mine....I think have all hens...but maybe one is a roo??? Here are the pictures:
This is Fluff head- guessing girl? ( 9 weeks old)

This is Racing Stripe...also 9 weeks old... girl or boy??

This is Penny. Penny is 11 weeks old, and "she" is the one I wonder about...???

This is Speckle. I am quite confident that she is a she!

Penny again....

Fluff Head

Speckle on the lounge chair....

one more with Penny- you can see her head better.

Fluffhead, Speckle and Racing stripe are all 9 weeks old and Penny is 11 weeks old.....

I see all girls. :)

Mainechick your hens are gorgeous!!

Hey everyone, I have two new EE's that were hatchery sexed pullets. Both are a combination of white and black though, I have read over and over that is a male coloration. They are exactly 5 weeks old today, one has no comb at all, she looks exactly like my older pullets. The other has a tiny bit of raised area but no coloring to it. There are no red feathers on the wing bow, I have held them and looked, nothing. Small feathers that match the rest of their bodies but nothing else. Am I safe or too soon to know? I will get better pics tomorrow, they're a bit skittish. I put a photo up of the lighter colored one, the other is mostly white/black laced/barreed with black head and white/black hackle feathers.

Last edited:
Aaaaaghhh! The dreaded black and white EE! Always hard (for me) to predict. 5 weeks is young to be certain, but good pics of the combs might give some hints. You can have pullets this color, though.

Rotten luck about Panic Pants.
hmm.png
Didn't you recently rehome another roo? I had to. Wish they were easier to keep.

Yeah-- I had to rehome a "sexed pullet" partridge rock roo this spring, he was really hurting my 6 girls! :( Not to mention that he was crowing incessantly. I don't mind crowing, but it was non-stop and my neighbors were getting a little frustrated, understandibly.

Panic Pants crowed yesterday, at 7.5 weeks old. It was a truly pathetic sound.

oh what a shame about the roosters Jennifer. :(

Ok so here are my girls, they were posing quite nicely when I went out this am. All photos are out in full 9 am sun, no flash and no color correction. :) I put up the face shot but there's a lot more in the album including full overhead body shots. I didn't want to slow down the thread with my pics.

If you didn't see my prior post, these were "hatchery sexed pullets".

SEE ALBUM HERE:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52312690@N06/sets/72157630451540478/

Carmen (left) Lacey (right) 5 weeks 2 days old

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom